Fantasy Grudge Match Gets More Press? Reality Bites Education Needs

Continuing to open yap and insert ass, the random wingnutty Obama school speech idiocy continues:

After reading the text on Monday, even Jim Greer, the Florida Republican Party chairman who last week accused the president of seeking to use the speech to foist “socialist ideology” on schoolchildren, said he could find nothing to criticize in its text.

"In its current form, it’s fine,” Mr. Greer said in an interview. “But it remains to be seen if it’s the speech he’s going to give.”

Because you can never be too careful about that hide the socialist ideology published in advance speech bait and switch maneuver, now can you? It is to laugh.

The speech?  It’s terrifying stuff alright:

What you make of your education will decide nothing less than the future of this country. What you’re learning in school today will determine whether we as a nation can meet our greatest challenges in the future.

You’ll need the knowledge and problem-solving skills you learn in science and math to cure diseases like cancer and AIDS, and to develop new energy technologies and protect our environment. You’ll need the insights and critical thinking skills you gain in history and social studies to fight poverty and homelessness, crime and discrimination, and make our nation more fair and more free. You’ll need the creativity and ingenuity you develop in all your classes to build new companies that will create new jobs and boost our economy.

How dare the President of the United States tell our nation’s children to dream big and dare to solve our most pressing problems. The nerve.

What’s not funny about all of this? The amount of ink and airtime that’s been devoted to a false, ginned-up hissy fit when real, substantial problems for our nation’s children and teachers are sitting out there getting barely any notice.

To wit:

Elizabeth Bunker, a counselor at César Chávez Elementary School, where 85 percent of the almost 600 children live below poverty level, sees the results of the daily struggle. Many of the kids only eat when they are at school, she said. More than once she’s run down to Walmart to buy a child a decent set of clothes.

"We have three families that just had their electricity turned off," Bunker said. "One dad had lost a job, one was injured on the job and the other — we’re not sure yet what happened. What scares us is we always find out about these things by accident. Suddenly a kid isn’t doing his homework. When you get him alone, it turns out he couldn’t do it because the electricity was turned off."

We are failing the most vulnerable in our society. But the vast majority don’t bother to notice because they are too preoccupied with whether the President might morph their child into a socialist in a speech where he touts using their skills to create new business opportunities.

The stupid. It burns us all. Nothing like passing on the creepy paranoia to the next generation…

(H/T to Margot.)

70 Responses to "Fantasy Grudge Match Gets More Press? Reality Bites Education Needs"
Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 05:17 am 1

Morning all. Woke up with a stomach bug this morning, so no idea how long I’ll last. Hope you all are feeling better than I am today…ugh.

leinie | Tuesday September 8, 2009 05:29 am 2

Oh, feel better Christy.

This bullshit over this speech is making me question my sanity. This isn’t really happening, this stupidity isn’t really out there, getting play, I must be delusional.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 05:41 am 3
In response to leinie @ 2

It’s really bizarre, isn’t it? Especially given the fact that Presidents have been speaking to kids in schools for as long as we’ve had presidents and schools. Which is pretty much forever.

I can only conclude that we have collectively lost our minds in this country or something.

ghostof911 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:12 am 4
In response to leinie @ 2

leinie, you are not delusional. Mental illness in our country is becoming epidemic.

barbara | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:13 am 5

Hey, Christy! Sorry you’re feeling lousy this morning. Take care.

Is anyone else as fed up and rising with the batshit crazy melodrama the right performs all day, every day? Whoever dreams up this stuff is surely laughing their arses off at the total inability of the left to anticipate and/or counter any of this. It’s false and ugly but it’s brilliant and effective.

twolf1 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:13 am 6

I just found out from Mika on Morning Joe that school districts in the county i live in (in PA) won’t be showing the speech. Some say they will tape the speech, review it, and either show it to the kids later or make it available in the library. I am sure these people preview what their kids watch on tv.

SouthernDragon | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:14 am 7
In response to ghostof911 @ 4

You might want to check back at the swim.

Badwater | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:14 am 8

Fear not. Pickles says the speech is ok. Somewhere Beck weeps and Limpy bloviates.

foothillsmike | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:16 am 9

This is not very different from the pres. speaking to the graduating class at Notre Dame.
These asshats are gonna bitch regardless of what Obama does. Idiots on parade.

RevBev | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:16 am 10

C: Feel better…this stuff is enough to make one sick….Don’t let our Pres. be talking to our kids….I think I can recall when a Pres. speech/tv could be a Social Studies assignment. When education mattered. Have a good day out there.

jayt | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:17 am 11

I actually see it as proof positive that there is absolutely nothing too inane or insane that the R’s can possibly say that the media won’t pick up and turn into an “issue” for them.

MrCleaveland | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:18 am 12

Politics is a never-ending cycle of hypocrisy.

One side does something, the other side goes ape. Later, the roles are reversed, and no one on either side is the least bit embarrassed about twisting their “principles” 180 degrees.

It’s amazing that we takes these clowns so seriously.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:18 am 13

Remember not so long ago when questioning the president in any way meant you were unpatriotic? *snerk*

ghostof911 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:20 am 14
In response to SouthernDragon @ 7

I did check back. Understood that I hit a raw nerve. On behalf of my country, I wist to apologize to you and everyone else who served for stealing those valuable years of your lives. We who refused to serve a false god did what we could to bring that horror to an end.

Bluetoe2 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:21 am 15

Here’s a sobering piece on Obama’s administration and where it could well be taking the U.S. No real surprises.

SouthernDragon | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:21 am 16
In response to ghostof911 @ 14

I don’t like being called a monster. You can’t apologize for that. That’s real.

coach777b | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:21 am 17

These assholes want no part of a Federal government headed by a Black man! They will jump on every initiative that the president makes because in their eyes he’s not an American, he’s a socialist, a fascist and an unbeliever. So they feel comfortable in their madness.
I suggest that those schools that refuse to allow their students to watch this speech should hold to their principles and return any federal dollars they’ve received. After all, how can you justify taking money from such a socialistic government?

musicsleuth | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:24 am 18
In response to jayt @ 11

I think we need to question the mental fitness of our professional media outlets instead.

DeepBlueMartian | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:26 am 19

Is there anyone out there on the right with enough “conservative credentials” to tell Beck, Greer and friends to shut their racist pieholes?

MrCleaveland | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:27 am 20

Something wrong with the link. Here’s the long version:

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:27 am 21

More scary anti-American socialist talk from the President’s speech — boy, you can just see why the hsisy fit had to happen, can’t you? (Why are media people not laughing in these people’s faces when they spout this idiocy, honestly? Shouldn’t that be the response — just a huge, gut-booming laugh?!?)

“Now I know it’s not always easy to do well in school. I know a lot of you have challenges in your lives right now that can make it hard to focus on your schoolwork.

I get it. I know what that’s like. My father left my family when I was two years old, and I was raised by a single mother who struggled at times to pay the bills and wasn’t always able to give us things the other kids had. There were times when I missed having a father in my life. There were times when I was lonely and felt like I didn’t fit in.

So I wasn’t always as focused as I should have been. I did some things I’m not proud of, and got in more trouble than I should have. And my life could have easily taken a turn for the worse.

But I was fortunate. I got a lot of second chances and had the opportunity to go to college, and law school, and follow my dreams. My wife, our First Lady Michelle Obama, has a similar story. Neither of her parents had gone to college, and they didn’t have much. But they worked hard, and she worked hard, so that she could go to the best schools in this country.

Some of you might not have those advantages. Maybe you don’t have adults in your life who give you the support that you need. Maybe someone in your family has lost their job, and there’s not enough money to go around. Maybe you live in a neighborhood where you don’t feel safe, or have friends who are pressuring you to do things you know aren’t right.

But at the end of the day, the circumstances of your life – what you look like, where you come from, how much money you have, what you’ve got going on at home – that’s no excuse for neglecting your homework or having a bad attitude. That’s no excuse for talking back to your teacher, or cutting class, or dropping out of school. That’s no excuse for not trying.

Where you are right now doesn’t have to determine where you’ll end up. No one’s written your destiny for you. Here in America, you write your own destiny. You make your own future. “

lefttown | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:28 am 22

Christy, are you going to write about the “Citizens United” case? I think this goes before the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Raven | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:28 am 23
In response to DeepBlueMartian @ 19

Newt came out in support of the speech.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:29 am 24
In response to lefttown @ 22

If I can stop throwing up at some point when I get over this stomach bug, I’m going to try. It’s scheduled for re-argument on the 9th…

barbara | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:30 am 25

I did some things I’m not proud of, and got in more trouble than I should have.

This is the snippet — the ONLY snippet — that the right will run with (with which the right will run). You heard it here first.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:31 am 26
In response to Raven @ 23

dday had a fantastic take on the “sensible Newt” versus the “play to the base Newt” dichotomy, btw. Well worth a read — and do watch the video.

klynn | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:33 am 27

Christy,

I posted this comment on Friday regarding all of this craziness.

Yeah Eli,

My kids school district pulled a quick one and announced today they would not interupt the school day. Now, I am trying to figure something out. The email sent from our SuperIn was time stamped 8:25 AM. I checked my email four times today and three of those were after 8:25 AM. The fifth time I checked my email just before 4 PM was the time the email came through.

Anyway, tech question aside, it looks very bad when an administrator makes an announcement which leaves little opportunity for parents to respond.

This is just sick.

I am calling my kid’s schools on Tuesday requesting my children watch the broadcast.

Lawyer types a question. If they do not let my kids watch it at school but send home a video copy, is there any type of censorship issue to pursue?

I wrote on a thread at EW’s, it would be eye opening to start gathering a list of the school districts across the nation who opted out and start filing FIOA’s to gather emails, letters and documented communications which led to the decision. And I would print every crazy item in a book. I would open the book with a transcript of Obama’s message.

I would buy the book.

A title: The Audacity of Hope Over Hate

Eli liked the idea. Now that the speech is available. I think I am going to start a collection of all the “crazy comments from conservative blogs and YouTube postings of crazy comments.

Start filing those FOIA’s at your local schools which “banned” the speech. I am sure the emails and letters will be interesting.

Bluetoe2 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:35 am 28

Future historians will likely be writing that the one thing that might have saved the United States from implosion was a little more socialism but then the “citizens” were intellectually and psychologically incapable of making that decision after 60+ years of right wing propaganda and indoctrination.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:37 am 29

Typical wingnut response to a problem , create false controversy to distract us from the real issues

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:41 am 30

And yet more scary socialism (seriously, laughing out loud in a public venue isn’t nearly enough mockery for the people ginning up this crapola hissy fit):

“The story of America isn’t about people who quit when things got tough. It’s about people who kept going, who tried harder, who loved their country too much to do anything less than their best.

It’s the story of students who sat where you sit 250 years ago, and went on to wage a revolution and found this nation. Students who sat where you sit 75 years ago who overcame a Depression and won a world war; who fought for civil rights and put a man on the moon. Students who sat where you sit 20 years ago who founded Google, Twitter and Facebook and changed the way we communicate with each other.

So today, I want to ask you, what’s your contribution going to be? What problems are you going to solve? What discoveries will you make? What will a president who comes here in twenty or fifty or one hundred years say about what all of you did for this country? “

lefttown | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:41 am 31

Thank you. I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I absolutely hate stomach bugs.

Blub | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:45 am 32

“develop new energy technologies and protect our environment”

Oh I don’t know. I think that this line may offend the reilgious sensibilities of Exxon-Mobil and Massey Coal executives. It smells like a conspiracy to me. Wingnuts be warned.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:48 am 33

I love my country I’m just not too happy with some of my fellow citizens right now.
I guess I was naive in beleiving that we had turned the corner on racist attitudes .
There can only be one reason why anyone would be opposed to having their kids hear Obama’s speech ,racism pure and simple

ShotoJamf | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:51 am 34
In response to leinie @ 2

Nothing wrong with your sanity. It’s those who are making a big something out of a big nothing who have the issues.

“Stay in school”? “Get an education”? Clearly, Communist-inspired…

klynn | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:52 am 35
In response to klynn @ 27

I’ve added to the book title…

A title: The Audacity of Hope Over Hate: What Is Your Contribution Going To Be? Constructive or Destructive?

BTW, Mr. Greer is full of twisted hate. When one goes to the White House website there are the PSA’s and a great deal of classroom materials for Pre-K to 12th based on the President’s speech.

NASCAR endorsements and educational materials do not get changed overnight. The crazy burns.

ghostof911 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:53 am 36
In response to billybugs @ 33

racism pure and simple

And making sure it’s being passed on to the next generation. Pathetic, pure and simple.

manriquez | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:56 am 37

I’ve talked by phone to friends with kids in Missouri public schools and they say the speech there is optional, by parental discretion; but that kids there who aren’t allowed to watch their president are pissed with their folks because everyone else gets out of class for the assembly.

oldgold | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:57 am 38

Yesterday I was out for a nice bicycle ride. As I rounded the park, I saw a knot
of people waving signs. I stopped and listened. They were chanting,
” We will be heard.” I noticed a lot of the same people who I confronted only 2 weeks ago at a town hall meeting. Hell, it was Idiots Anonymous the tea baggers protesting Obama education speech.

The speaker was a retired school teacher living on Public Employees Retirement, Social Security and Medicare yelling about socialism and getting government off his back. You can’t make this stuff up. Well, since it was a pleasant day and it seemed they were only preaching to the persuaded, I moved on.

Blub | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:58 am 39
In response to billybugs @ 33

I think there’s a wider issue here beyond racism. It should be clear that the rethugs have adopted a position whereby they reject the notion that there should actually be two parties in American political life. They reject any prospect of real bi-partisanship, thereby rendering the entire concept of bi-partisanship unworkable. According to them, a liberal president has no right to speak to the public or legitimately win or hold office. Policies that are not in accord with their vision or worldview are rejected outright either as socialist, terrorist, fascist or merely murderly plots. Political deception, corruption, intimidation, fraud and violence are viewed as acceptable means toward their ends or ends unto themselves. Racism may be behind some or even much of what they believe in, but there’s a lot more going on here, and it’s a lot more disturbing than just old guys with a dislike for melanin.

DeepBlueMartian | Tuesday September 8, 2009 06:59 am 40
In response to Raven @ 23

That’s true, but it was kind of a soft endorsement. It just feels like if more rationale high-profile people on the right and in the media confronted this ugliness for what it really is then maybe all those who socialist as a euphemism would be shamed out of the public consciousness.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:00 am 41

I ‘m surprized wingnuts even allow their kids to go to public schools ?
Are they not examples of socialist systems?
Perhaps the next move would be to remove your kids from school entirely

ghostof911 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:01 am 42
In response to manriquez @ 37

That’s hilarious. Why not simply assign dunce caps to the kids who aren’t allowed to go. Next time there’s no need to check with the parents; the kids with the dunce caps immediately get separated into corner.

Raven | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:04 am 43

I don’t know if anyone cares but there is a live blog to the idiot Broun’s town hall out in the lilly-white burbs of Athens. Seems like it’s loaded with dems

MrCleaveland | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:04 am 44
In response to billybugs @ 33

There can only be one reason why anyone would be opposed to having their kids hear Obama’s speech, racism pure and simple.

I’m sorry, but that is an idiotic statement. There’s been too much irresponsible race-baiting going on lately.

Raven | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:05 am 45
In response to MrCleaveland @ 44

Bullshit

Raven | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:06 am 46

Here’s a sign from Broun’s town hall

One sign says, “Why Oconee, Broun? Oh, that’s right. You’re white.” Wow.

that’ll fire the crackers up!

DeepBlueMartian | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:06 am 47
In response to DeepBlueMartian @ 40

Whoops, sorry. The “e” snuck in on rational and “use” didn’t make it.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:06 am 48
In response to Blub @ 39

I think the wingnuts are the fascists , their tactics are more in line with a dictatorship than a democracy.

citizensue | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:08 am 49

The problem here is the toxic blend of the immediacy of the internet and the laziness of the media. This collision has been brewing for a long time and now we have reached critical mass. The crazies start a rumor on the internet, the media picks it up and runs with it… it goes viral and we have a totally manufactured controversy. The fact that the media treats every crazy tidbit as appropriate for discussion in a “fair and balanced” manner is the engine that pushes these stupid and racist fantasies into the forefront of “news”.
For a long time the mantra of the 24hr news cycle has been “If it bleeds it leads”, but now, it seems to be “If it’s crazy it leads”. I hate to say it, but if we want to get any attention at all we are going to have to step up our game and be more dramatic and drastic in our approach. I say we should do it with our language. No more mister nice guy. Let’s start calling these people out for what they are and not mince words about it.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:09 am 50
In response to MrCleaveland @ 44

Sorry but I call it like I see it .
So what’s your explanation then , if not racism ,what ?

demi | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:09 am 51
In response to MrCleaveland @ 44

If it’s not racism, what is it?
(And, who are you to call someone’s comment idiotic?)

demi | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:10 am 52
In response to billybugs @ 50

What’s your beverage of choice?

ghostof911 | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:14 am 53
In response to citizensue @ 49

sue, teevee per se is toxic. If you’re careful about your physical health, you try to limit the amount of toxins you ingest with your meals. Likewise, if you’re concerned about your mental health, you need to restrict the amount of toxins that enter your brain via the airwaves.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:15 am 54
In response to citizensue @ 49

the problem with the media , is that they don’t do enough to debunk the crazy .
They could easily put all this silliness behind us if they jusy came out and said this or that is false , in fact I always thought that was their job

citizensue | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:16 am 55
In response to ghostof911 @ 53

So true, Ghost- So true.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:17 am 56

Worked late last night ,a strong cup ‘o Joe sounds good right now

Badwater | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:17 am 57
In response to ghostof911 @ 53

That’s easy to do: never watch Fox News.

Badwater | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:19 am 58
In response to billybugs @ 54

Promoting silliness is the main job of Fox News. Truth is never a factor in that.

billybugs | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:20 am 59
In response to Badwater @ 57

Went to a client’s house the other day ,Faux news was playing on a TeeVee in every room
Left there feeling like I needed a shower

Rayne | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:20 am 60

Oh jeebus, please. Pushback against Obama’s speech using quotes from Rev. Moon’s newspaper about Bush41’s use of a classroom to push his education plan?

Have you actually listened to Bush41’s speech?

Only the last portion of 41’s is geared for children; the rest was addressed to an adult audience who was supposed to watch the video on television. That’s not a motivational speech to children; it’s both a policy statement and a trial balloon for a campaign platform.

citizensue | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:22 am 61

Billy. It used to be their job, back when they were journalists, but now they are entertainers and carnival barkers.
Their jobs no longer require that they do any debunking, they are rather, charged with whipping up the frenzy for ratings.
Take Glen Beck for example- though he has been loosing sponsors by the boatload, his ratings are soaring. He just gets more and more crazy and sponsors be damned. he gets the ratings. An extreme example to be sure, but it can be applied to any other show on 24hr cable news (and I use that term lightly)

Blub | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:23 am 62
In response to billybugs @ 48

or just nihilists. They stand for nothing other than disloyal opposition.

Badwater | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:23 am 63
In response to billybugs @ 59

While it must be hard to hear Limpy on the radio with all those TVs on, his show is so predictable that listening is really not required.

foothillsmike | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:31 am 64
In response to Badwater @ 57

Fox News is an oxymoron. It should be faux news or fox noise. News it ain’t

Ann in AZ | Tuesday September 8, 2009 07:47 am 65

On an even weirder note, I saw the most incongruous thing yesterday on a newscast. I saw a woman who spoke with an obvious thick Hispanic accent, one that really begged the inference that she was originally from somewhere south of the border, with a very young child in her arms, stating that she was concerned. She said for the President to teach school children socialist ways is not the way our country should be run.

I couldn’t help but think that she is the very type of person that Sheriff Joe loves to harass publicly. Talk about being against your own best interests!

MrCleaveland | Tuesday September 8, 2009 08:13 am 66
In response to billybugs @ 50

You race-baiters disgust me, and I have no use for you.

robspierre | Tuesday September 8, 2009 09:00 am 67

I am astonished that anyone even thinks for a moment that this little flappola involves anything remotely as sincere as paranoia or racism. Both imply some sort of belief or committment. Both demand statements that sound remotely plausible or serious.

But this? This is barely above the level of armpit noises. Its only purpose is to disrupt adult conversation on healthcare and turn eyes away during the Congressional sausage-making.

fuckno | Tuesday September 8, 2009 09:18 am 68

With Obama’s blessing the LAUSD is planning to privatize 30% of its schools and continue NCLB.

I’m not worried about bullshit GOPers, I’m terribly worried about bullshit Democrats!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday September 8, 2009 09:51 am 69
In response to MrCleaveland @ 66

So leave. No one will miss you.

justme | Tuesday September 8, 2009 10:24 am 70