SCOTUS: Bob Corker’s True Colors

the-emperors-new-clothes-sid-caesar.jpgWhy am I getting that "true colors shining through" feeling here from strutting peacock Sen. Bob Corker:

Sen. Bob Corker blew off his meeting with Sonia Sotomayor last week. Hobbling along with her leg in a cast, she was 10 minutes late and he said he didn’t feel like waiting. “I decided to proceed on to the next meeting,” he told a Tennessee Press Association breakfast in Chattanooga.

Lest you think that Corker is a GOP anomaly, I give you exhibit B:

Despite the fact that Senate conservatives had repeatedly vowed to give Sotomayor a “fair and respectful process” that gives her a “fair opportunity to provide full and complete answers” to any questions about her record, Corker is now the second GOP senator to refuse to meet with Judge Sotomayor. Last week, Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) also blew off his meeting with Sotomayor and announced that he made up his mind vote against her nomination in 1998 — eleven years before she was actually nominated.

Our nation is run by temperamental three year olds.

Just when you think you can’t find anything else to laugh about…

(H/T to twolf1.)

31 Responses to "SCOTUS: Bob Corker’s True Colors"
foothillsmike | Monday June 22, 2009 07:37 am 1

Let us not forget about Sen Pat Roberts who made up his mind to vote against her two days after she was nominated. Then there is Sen. Orin Hatch was cmplaining about a lack of time to review judge Sotomayor – he had heard rumors that there were four thousand cases to review. This was week before last. The question in my mind is when the fuck do you think you might start doing your homework dickhead.

Crosstimbers | Monday June 22, 2009 08:04 am 2

Over the years, I’ve occasionally been curious as to whether the treatment a nominee receives during the senate approval process might effect their subsequent disposition and legal opinions. Ideally, I know it’s not supposed to. In this case, I hope it does.

NelsonAlgren | Monday June 22, 2009 08:33 am 3

Did anyone really expect anything different from these arseholes?

RevBev | Monday June 22, 2009 08:37 am 4

OT: The Supremes did not change any provisions in a Voting Rights case that came up from TX….a little surprising good news.

oldgold | Monday June 22, 2009 09:49 am 5
In response to Crosstimbers @ 2

I think Thomas is a prime example of someone that was changed by the process.

Redshift | Monday June 22, 2009 10:55 am 6

Hey, it might be relatively easy to evaluate her judicial record, but it’s hard work digging through all those cases trying to find a tidbit embarrassing enough to derail the nomination…

Rayne | Monday June 22, 2009 12:17 pm 7

I wish I could be certain Corker was simply a rude f*cking asshole (as he already has proven with regard to union workers), or if he is a racist f*cking asshole.

Rude? Racist?

Both?

Or quite simply a f*cking asshole?

lexalexander | Monday June 22, 2009 02:09 pm 8

In fairness to Inhofe (as if he deserves any), I think he was saying he voted against her in ‘98 when she was nominated to the appeals court.

lexalexander | Monday June 22, 2009 02:09 pm 9

I think you’re right. And sometime not horribly long after he was confirmed, The New Republic published an article basically predicting that that was what would happen.

MrWhy | Monday June 22, 2009 02:35 pm 10

HuffPo has a couple of stories related to Sotomayor.

Pat Buchanan Mocks Sotomayor

and

Sotomayor Nomination Close to a Done Deal

Not sure I believe either of them.

MrWhy | Monday June 22, 2009 02:58 pm 11
In response to MrWhy @ 10

Anyone taken time in the summer to read The Little Prince? The Once and Future King? Charlotte’s Web? The Chronicles of Narnia?

foothillsmike | Monday June 22, 2009 03:07 pm 12

Bob Corker – GM should be allowed to go bankrupt and the government should not be running the corporations …. er…… they’re closing dealerships in bankruptcy ………. We need to stop that. What a stupid jerk.

Teddy Partridge | Monday June 22, 2009 03:07 pm 13

Corker is awful. It’s to Harold Ford’s eternal shame that he couldn’t capitalize on a Democratic wave and win that seat in Tennessee.

Twain | Monday June 22, 2009 03:08 pm 14

None of these jerks read bills, decisions, etc. Their aides do and then give them the 2 minute version.
But they are the Princes of Pomposity and must whine about now hard they work.

Waccamaw | Monday June 22, 2009 03:08 pm 15

Just when you think you can’t find anything else to laugh about…

Well, if ya need just one more thing……..what about a Southern governor disappearing for multiple days with apparently no one (including his wife) knowing where the heck he is? And including Father’s Day to boot?

STTPinOhio | Monday June 22, 2009 03:08 pm 16

OT, but regarding Froomkin, the coverup continues.

Kurtz was online today and not one question re: Dan.

Not one.

Over 770 comments after the ombudsman’s post about his firing, but no one saw fit to as Mr. Media Accountability about it.

Yeah, right.

KayInMaine | Monday June 22, 2009 03:11 pm 17

We need to give the conservatives a break, because they are for visitor-log-transparency now! See? They’re on our side. Schluffing off a meeting is nothing compared to what the conservatives stand for. Let’s cut them a break please.

STTPinOhio | Monday June 22, 2009 03:14 pm 18
In response to Waccamaw @ 15

There goes those 2012 aspirations down the flusher, cuz if you have to straighten your wig after losing a battle over stimulus funds, who knows what you’d have to do if Bin Laden sent you a mean spirited video.

Blub | Monday June 22, 2009 03:15 pm 19

Last week, Murdoch-owned WSJ printed an editorial comment listing a number of “secessionist” groups that they alleged were trying to tear apart the US or even join parts of the US to, gasp, Mexico. All part of that nasty Latina fifth column threat, I guess, among other things. Among these alleged terrorist organizations was a group called the Cali Baja Bi-National Mega-Region Initiative. Only one problem: the principle sponsor of the Mega-Region Initiative is the seditious organization known as the US Dept of Commerce. The other principal underwriters are those dangerous Latino secessionist organizations, AT&T, Bank of America, two US county governments, and two US utility holding companies. The group’s sole purpose is to promote the development of dialogue between business leaders on both sides of the US-Mexico border, for the purpose of economic development, job creation, trade and the like.

Evidently, the WSJ’s editorial staff couldn’t even be bothered to do basic factchecking before inciting racist outrage against Hispanic-Americans. This is what the righties have to stand on in this Latino-threat debate – if this is the level of MSM awareness we’re talking about, the Corkers of the world don’t have to do much to undermine this nomination….

STTPinOhio | Monday June 22, 2009 03:17 pm 20
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 13

Ford makes me wanna barf.

He lost because he ran as Republican Lite instead of as a true Democrat.

Waccamaw | Monday June 22, 2009 03:24 pm 21
In response to STTPinOhio @ 18

It’ll be another one of those IOKIYAR thingies…… :-(

According to assorted posters over at DU, there’ve been some interesting comments to be found in response to varied media reports from SC.

Waccamaw | Monday June 22, 2009 03:28 pm 22
In response to STTPinOhio @ 20

Dog knows we’ve got bloody well enough of those republican lite dems in DC as it is……not sure I’d prefer ford fill that slot.

*here’s yer barf bag* (be forewarned….. it’s been used)

dcblogger | Monday June 22, 2009 03:37 pm 23

Where is Reid? Can he not insist that the Republicans treat the process with respect? Think if the situation were reversed. I am sick of them pretending it is 1994.

SouthernDragon | Monday June 22, 2009 03:46 pm 24
In response to dcblogger @ 23

I know you’re in deecee with no representation but it’s never too early to start working for a local candidate in VA or MD that you think worthy. We’re likely not to see much change until we change the faces in Congress. Like Christy was fond of saying during the primaries, it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon. And we’ve got a long way to go.

DrDick | Monday June 22, 2009 04:20 pm 25

Our nation is run by temperamental three year olds.

I would say that is a compliment when applied to Inhoffe. Makes me glad I got out of the state 20 years ago before the lunatics took over the asylum.

radhika | Monday June 22, 2009 05:25 pm 26

I do not believe this type of behavior would be done if the nominee was a white christian male. I also suspect ‘their base’ is pleased at the display.

The Right Wing – Southerners primarily – has been parading contempt for the President and now Sotomayor. The kind of status condescension accepted in some circles. I do not recall seeing this being done so overtly and blatently in prior years. I hate those f**ks.

coach777b | Monday June 22, 2009 06:01 pm 27
In response to Rayne @ 7

Corker is both. He proved it in his Senate campaign with his racist political commercials aginst rep. Ford. Judge Sotomayor should remember this rebuff and pay it back tenfold.

MarkH | Monday June 22, 2009 06:15 pm 28
In response to Rayne @ 7

He used a racist-indicating ad to win his senate seat. But, even so, I’d say he’s just an ass.

Hugh | Monday June 22, 2009 09:17 pm 29

That was not my reading. It was a 9-0 decision but it was a fairly fine point. A small elected municipal utility board in Texas which is subject to VRA provisions. The board wanted to bail out of preclearance procedures. The lower courts said no, it didn’t qualify as an entity that could ask to bail out, but SCOTUS reversed in favor of the board.

texasaggie | Monday June 22, 2009 09:26 pm 30

I don’t think he was actually changed. The excerpts from his book and other news about his life lead me to suspect that he’s always been the way he is now.

WVAPA | Tuesday June 23, 2009 06:29 am 31

I think it’s high time that Americans show some backbone and massively march on Congress and the White House (the whole damn government, really) and demand that (1.) they start acting like adults, (2.) they throw off the yoke of their corporate masters, (3.) they pass single-payer health insurance legislation, (4.) they stop mountain-top removal, (5.) they stop poisoning the air and water, (6.) they stop thinking that the U.S. has a role in every political crisis in the world and that military power is the panacea for whatever ails ya’, (5b) stop the f..king wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, (6) stop the f..king American exceptionalism postering, and (7) . . . . . (infinity). I despair for the future of this nation. I don’t think it will be long before the Republicans put a horse in the Senate and Democrats won’t have the guts to stop them (because they won’t be able to get 60 votes).

There now. I’ve had my rant. But, curiously, I don’t feel any better. I’m serious about taking to the streets. We hail the Iranians for taking their beefs to the streets, while we all sit on our fat asses and think, “well, yes, but you see we’re Americans; we’re already free.”

My ass, we’re free.