Pull Up A Chair…

Boy did I need a few days to recharge. It’s a travel day for me today. But I wanted to give you all a few things to think about:

This picture from NASA rocks my world. And the Kepler spacecraft has begun it’s search for other "Earth-like" worlds.

– Researchers have isolated a fungus that may have something to do with colony collapse disorder and honeybees.

This is a problem for beekeepers. As they share combs among hives and use the same equipment to clean multiple hives they can inadvertently spread the spores, infecting other colonies.

According to the USDA, one in three mouthfuls of the American diet directly or indirectly benefits from honeybee pollination. Bee pollination is responsible for $15 billion in added crop value, particularly for specialty crops.

Science is just fascinating, isn’t it?

– The Ocean Futures website, home ot the Cousteau Institute, has some fascinating stuff on it worth perusing.

Caribbean coral reefs are experiencing increasing declines of fish populations. California waters are also experiencing sharp declines of some species while others are still struggling.

Polar ice? Still melting too rapidly.

What’s been catching your eye — or imagination — lately? Pull up a chair…

90 Responses to "Pull Up A Chair…"
Elliott | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:18 am 1

Good Morning Christy!

Can’t what to hear about your stellar vacation.

Here’s a cool link to boston.com’s big picture series on the Hubble mission.

JClausen | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:23 am 2

Welcome back. Marcy’s been burning up the site so keepin up with her has kept us all on our toes.

Didja have a meetup with any of the NOLA firepups?

foothillsmike | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:24 am 3

Morning Christy; Happy trails – and be safe.

popomo | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:32 am 4

The Hubble is just about the coolest thing NASA has ever done, don’t you think? Okay, there was that moon landing thing, but after that, the Hubble’s the best.

And since oceans are a topic today, don’t miss the Nature Conservancy’s report on the threat to oysters and shellfish.

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:36 am 5

Hi, Christy and fhm and JC and Elliott and . . . .

Closed on new home yesterday. Packing, transporting, staging at both ends, hardly believing what I’m doing but doing it anyway. Sun room and patio overlooking pond, which is hopefully being refreshed by an early morning rain. MUCH needed.

Keeping an eye on Obama, Reid and Pelosi (kinda cross-eyed) and the fact that there are orioles somewhere near my new home, even though no one close by is feeding them. I’m coming, little sweeties!!! Kinda egocentric today. Sorry.

Elliott | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:43 am 6

Have you seen the timelapse of “The Galactic Center of the Milky Way” ?

Elliott | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:43 am 7

closed?! YAY!

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:45 am 8

Congrats on the new place, Barbara.

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:48 am 9

Good Morning Christy and Pups!

Welcome back Christy. We missed you. Hope you had a grand time.

And HEY barbara. “little sweeties!!!” Ahem, we talk to all our feathered friends too, and they talk back. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a good thing. ;->

We’re still running around like ants, only not fast enough to suit the mr. He’s correct, I know, but ooogh, we’re to leave within the hour to go try to part with some antiques and collectibles, and I haven’t had my coffee. Not enough caffeine in the world, so I hope the flavor perks me up. ooogh! This parting with things and staging at the same time is a bear to bear. groan.

foothillsmike | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:49 am 10

May you have many years of enjoyment in your new place and don’t overdo it on the move.

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:53 am 11

Our grosbeaks are more tame than ever this year. It’s a gift. The male with his beautiful warbling song and bright rosy-red chest, and the mrs. with her more muted but no less beautiful colors. Glorious little beings. ;->

Elliott | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:53 am 12

On the 20th, Christy left this note in the threads

Hey y’all — I’m writing to you from Lindy’s lovely home. We’ve been having some wine, nibbles and great conversation in the back courtyard, celebrating the fact that George got part of the house back on the foundation this afternoon. Boo yah! Mr. ReddHedd and I are having a fantastic trip — we really needed this break, and didn’t realize how much until we took it. But being able to meet Lindy and George has really been a highlight, let me tell you.

See y’all when we get back!

– Christy (Look, I said y’all twice. Can you tell I’m below the Mason-Dixon line and then some? *g*)

JClausen | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:54 am 13

Congrats Barbara!

Oh, and can’t forget to send hugs to (((katymine)))

Kathryn in MA | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:54 am 14

Here’s another shot of the NASA picture: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090516.html

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 05:59 am 15
In response to JClausen @ 13

How is katymine doing? I haven’t heard in a while.

And, if you’re lurking, much love.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:06 am 16
In response to Elliott @ 6

Far out!!

The ancients thought the stars moved around Mother Earth. We dream up stuff like Star Wars and Alien.

Mornin’, Christy, pups. Day whatever of rain in the land of sunshine. Saw the sun for about 10 minutes yesterday afternoon. Hoping for more sun today but looking out the window doesn’t help the hope. Hate the thought of having to haul laundry to laundromat to dry. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:07 am 17

Good morning. Guy talking about bees on cspan2.

cbl2 | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:15 am 18

Good Morning Christy and Firedogs,

Elliot – thanks for that time lapse – have been clouded out of the perseids every year we’ve lived in Texas – mebbe I could talk a certain scooter boy in to taking me to the Davis Mountains this year :D

Ms Adie – do you ever indulge in the Birder Diaries over at Big Orange ?

Congratulations on the new place Barbara – sorry ’bout the moving part – sigh

solai - katymine checked in on her own last week end , said she felt she’d taken a turn for the better but haven’t seen her in the threads since but that could just be me

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:18 am 19

Good morning and good luck with the new place barbara.

Well that was a interesting night. The pain came back in one of my teeth, went to sleep, woke up and took pain killer and decided to put the roast pork in the oven in the oven while waiting for it kick in. Went back to bed as I slowly roasted some pork.

Woke up when the pork was done, (it was a small piece) took it out, went back to bed again, and woke up again.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:18 am 20

Jensen Button is on a roll. On the pole for Monaco tomorrow.

RevBev | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:19 am 21

Barbara, All sorts of good luck to you. You’ve really done a lot to get going thru a difficult time. I will look forward to reports from your new place. Blessings. And good for you, lady.

cbl2 | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:27 am 22

p.s. this week’s rollout of Ida reminded me that I do not visit pharyngula and other science blogs enough – can learn so much just from the comments – it was Paleontologists Gone Wild.

look at this kewl graphic showing her place on the primate family tree

ok, so I like to show it to creationists for effect, so sue me :D

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:28 am 23

There’s a controversy a brewing here in my small town. It’s a dry church town and the subject of liquor licences got the former mayor and a couple council people kicked out. The present mayor made a issue of it and turned it into his advantage.

Tomorrow there is a arts and music festival and some of the businesses are serving beer and wine, anyone who wants to drink the alchol will have to pay more for their wristband, and the money raised from tickets is a fund raiser.

The church folk are pissed that alcohol is being served on Sunday, and there is some talk of protests.

bobh | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:29 am 24

I have a NJ backyard full of flowering perennials. I see only one black bumblebee so far this year, just like all last year. Years ago we were swarming with bees, and this is sad.

cbl2 | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:31 am 25

Southern Dragon – (reply button missing)

it’s gear head city at chez cbl the next two days – F1, Indy, Charlotte. Yee-Haw !!

rain is a good excuse to stay in and play with tigers, no ?

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:32 am 26
In response to Millineryman @ 23

Hi MM. A dry town in the NE? I’m surprised. What’s the church, and how is the local sentiment running, pro-dry & anti-dry.

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:33 am 27

To get your reply button back, try a second refresh.

Lindy | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:33 am 28
In response to Adie @ 9

I talk to my birds too…and the squirrels. They’ve mostly (with the exception of the doves) realized that I mean them no harm and that when I come out, there’s food to be had. I think the doves realize it too, but they do that wing-flapping/noise thing to scatter the other birds so that there’s more food for them.

foothillsmike | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:35 am 29
In response to Millineryman @ 23

If Christ were to visit and turn the water to wine would they have him arrested?

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:38 am 30

I wonder what Christy ended up reading for vacation. I’m back to pleasure reading again, which is such a nice change after years of obsession with our rogue government (not to say Obama doesn’t need scrutiny). Anyway, I just finished “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Pretty good. So good that I’ve ordered the sequel. Has anyone read it?

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:39 am 31

The reason the creationists stick to their theory is cuz the words in evolution are too hard to pronounce.

Which is easier?

“Then God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness;…” or a graph that has names like Australopithecus anamensis.

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:41 am 32

Hi eCAHN, it’s the Methodists and Baptist churches. There are a lot of dry towns in South Jersey. It’s 50/50 for and against. The town elders want to hold onto the past while the business folks want to get with the times.

I think they could’ve done with the alcohol. It’s an extra $25, and who knows what kind of quality you’re going to get for that.

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:43 am 33
In response to solai @ 8

Thanks!

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:44 am 34

Too late! :-) Achy, breaky body. But it’s for a good cause. Thanks!!!

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:45 am 35
In response to JClausen @ 13

Merci!

jayt | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:46 am 36
In response to SouthernDragon @ 20

we’re having a little race here too tomorrow.

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:46 am 37
In response to Millineryman @ 32

That should have been, I think they could’ve done it without the alcohol.

oldgold | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:46 am 38
In response to Millineryman @ 32

Religion:
Jewish people don’t recognize Jesus as the Savior
Protestants don’t recognize the Pope as the Vicar of Christ
Baptists don’t recognize each other in the liquor store

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:46 am 39

(((RevBev))) Thanks. It is the worst of time, the best of times and the beginning of a new beginning.

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:47 am 40
In response to Millineryman @ 32

Interesting. Didn’t know there were so many pockets of yesteryear in the NE. Yeah, $25 for unknown quality seems steep.

I went to Wellesley College, and the town of Wellesley, MA was dry, but I think it was a decision that involved not wanting a lot of restaurant traffic at night (not sure that’s the reason, but didn’t notice a lot of religious ferver in the town). Don’t know if it’s still dry.

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:47 am 41

In this town I do believe they would. The churches feel it’s their town, and have little regard for people who don’t follow their rules.

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:47 am 42

MM, found a good wishes note from you here somewhere, but can’t find it now. Thanks!!

Crosstimbers | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:47 am 43
In response to SouthernDragon @ 31

I’ve always thought it interesting that the coalition which formed the largest part of the Republican base was made up of religeous fundamentalists, who completely reject the theory of evolution, and doctrinaire free market capitalists, who espouse the idea that any deviation from natural selection and survival of the fittest weakens the nation and the human race.

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:48 am 44
In response to Millineryman @ 41

Why, if I didn’t know better, I’d say there’s Republic blood burbling through their tiny veins!

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:49 am 45

OK, coffee’s gone & I’m off. Be well everyone.

barbara | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:49 am 46

And do you know why Baptists never have sex standing up? They’re afraid someone might think they’re dancing. *

*With apologies to Baptists, though this came to me from Baptist friends.

jayt | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:50 am 47

Good morning. Guy talking about bees on cspan2.

he hasn’t happened to mention w/n bee farts smell like honey, has he?

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:51 am 48

It’s also a generational split. There’s a lot of dynamics going on here. The bubble finally got burst that’s been over the town and the old growing pains are happening.

Can’t wait to see their heads explode when the new light rail stop finally gets approved.

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:53 am 49

It’s crazy when you see the way the youth in this drink, and the drug problems but they don’t seem to do much to help these kids.

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:54 am 50
In response to Crosstimbers @ 43

I saw a documentary (can’t remember the name) where a forlorn woman said her son cried when someone suggested that he descended from the monkey.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:54 am 51

Yep and da sky just opened up.

Got a real challenge with one of the new tigers. When I first took him in the vet said in most cases where tail has to be removed due to injury like car running over it the animal is incontinent. Saw no evidence while Maste was isolated but once exposed to the others he doesn’t leave the computer room and is incontinent at times. Haven’t figured out if it’s due to stress of other tigers checking him out or a permanent condition. He sleeps on a chair that I added a pillow to so I covered the pillow with plastic bag (after washing) and that with a towel. Supervisor gave me a bunch of old towels so I do laundry every couple days. Maste and Feurae do not get along but he’s only been here a week so it’s really too early to tell what’s what. Nagi, on the other hand, acts like he’s been here since the day he was born.

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:55 am 52

Aren’t any of you master chefs going to tell us what goodies you’re making for a Memorial Day picnic?

oldgold | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:55 am 53
In response to Millineryman @ 49

forbidden fruit

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:02 am 54
In response to Millineryman @ 23

i wonder how they are able to do that, if it is a ‘dry zone’…. council gave special permit?

up the road from me there is a village that is dry..a developer wanted an exemption for a restaurant, turned down. they pulled out, which was part of the reason it was withheld, few wanted the development, big mess. was an obama crony–helping a rural community develop, by turning a public lake private…yeah right…

a festival held at that same location within the limits of the village must have gotten one, they serve beer. but it is a local, one time a year thing, held on land owned by a university.

i don’t know of anyone, even drinkers, who wants to change the ordinance except the gas station owners. plenty of other places to buy it a few miles away when they go to the grocery–’go to town’…not an issue there. i used to live there.

cbl2 | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:03 am 55
In response to SouthernDragon @ 51

the late great Shep had tail removed after car accident when he was a teen – incontinence was intermittent but went away about a month and half later – he lived another 18 years.

cbl2 | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:06 am 56
In response to Crosstimbers @ 43

would be interesting to revisit Kevin Phillips American Theocracy just to see how close he came to correctly predicting the fundies current state

Millineryman | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:09 am 57
In response to dmac @ 54

They claim because it’s a fund raiser all is fine.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:11 am 58

Thanks. That’s good to know. If it’s permanent I’ll deal with it but it would be nice if it’s only temporary. Laundry is no skin off my nose but the condition’s gotta bother little Maste. Little guy cannot get enough lovin’. Sweetest little thing. Definitely had a home at some point in his past. I got Missy when she was 19 and she rarely left the computer room for the next 3 1/2 years so that’s no biggy.

RevBev | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:12 am 59
In response to SouthernDragon @ 51

OT, Southern: Did you see Moyers last night on the health care discussion? I missed it.

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:14 am 60
In response to SouthernDragon @ 51

gross story warning-kinda–
years ago, i adopted a calico a friend found hanging out with his dog in his doghouse…her tail was a dried stick and maggots were infested and eating the base of it…she came right to him. a sweetheart.
our vet said he thought it was a case of getting caught under a hood and someone started the car, didn’t know if there was enough left to save her. he operated on her and kept her for three weeks. for free. she barely made it.

she was a great kitty, no incontinence and lived to be 19 i think. daisy.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:14 am 61

I missed it as well. Will watch it later. Was engrossed with Secrets of the Temple until it was way too late to pay attention.

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:17 am 62
In response to dmac @ 60

forgot to add, she may have been incontinent during that three week recovery period that shawn had her at his office.

katymine | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:22 am 63

Good Morning Christy and everyone else…..

I’m back….. Monday at 3am I had an event that made me feel like my brain was glued back together…….two days ago I started walking faster than a snail….. chemo IV weekly given twice, the only side effect seems to be sore throat and so sleepy from the pre-med Benedryl …….

solai | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:24 am 64
In response to katymine @ 63

Hugs, katymine. So glad to hear from you.

RevBev | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:27 am 65
In response to katymine @ 63

Katy, Prayers & hugs….Nice to have you back. Sigh….what a trip you’re having. In the midst of it all, I hope you are having some lovely treats for yourself…..in addition to Elmore, of course.

ChuckinDenton | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:30 am 66

Ahhhh, that pic of the beignets and chickory coffee makes me miss NOLA in a big way. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

JClausen | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:30 am 67
In response to katymine @ 63

It’s great to hear from you! Gotta love these Saturday morning sessions, don’t you?

I have to run, but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

SD, I love the cat talk; my sister has 28, and I have 5. What joy they give to this dog lover. (I also have a 6 year old Golden Retrievor who thinks she’s a lap dog at 90 lbs.)
Namaste

Crosstimbers | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:33 am 68
In response to ChuckinDenton @ 66

Chuck, if that’s Denton, Tx, we must be neighbors.

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:36 am 69

enjoy your weekend!

i already had my friends and family visits earlier this month.
hope to go to the parade and the ceremony if my leg will cooperate. i go in honor of my brother. best speech i ever heard anywhere was by a vietnam vet, local ‘joe’, a few years back at the memorial day ceremony. right when we went to war. really moved me. always wanted to tell him that. a few years later, his wife slid on a patch of ice in her car and came down over the hill, stopped by my pine trees.he came to pick her up and the car, and when i realized who he was, i got to thank him for his words. in taking care of his wife and pampering her, she was pretty shaken up, i got to do something back for him without knowing i was. sometimes we get those rare moments, i think of them every year. his speech made me cry, it was perfect. i wish i had it on tape. got to tell him that.

take care, pups.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:43 am 70
In response to katymine @ 63

(((katymine))) Hearing from you on this dreary morn made my weekend. Much love and healing thoughts to you.

Nam myoho renge kyo

ThingsComeUndone | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:46 am 71

They pull a polar ice measuring study because of weather Funny.
The ice is melting to fast.

ChuckinDenton | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:50 am 72
In response to Crosstimbers @ 68

It is Little D! And Crosstimbers rings a bell-where is that specifically?

ThingsComeUndone | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:50 am 73
In response to katymine @ 63

Lemon tea for the throat Yerba Matte to stay awake might work. No caffine in the Yerba easy on the stomach. Bill Moyers on Health care its almost as good as Sicko.

bgrothus | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:50 am 74

Good morning and great to see you Katymine!!

I have a kitteh I call “Little.” She was found as a baby by the freeway with an injured front leg. I did what I could, including accupuncture at first, but I had to give up, the leg had permanent nerve damage and began to atrophy quickly. The doctor said to amputate the leg, but she has used it all along and eventually grew a fatty pad that covers the joint. She has remained a bit feral all along, and she is FAST if I try to catch her.

I tried to keep her inside, but she is fast and determined to go outside. Once outside, I have to wait for her to come in on her own since she is too fast for me to catch. After a year, she got out one day, I could not catch her, and she got hit by a car, I think. This time she broke her pelvis and injured her tail. Again, they said she should have her tail cut off b/c it would get in her way and get infected with bowel materials. . .So I waited to see what would happen. She has no trouble at the toilet, can move her tail out of the way w/ no problem. Little by Little, they said, cut her parts off.

She is a great Little girl. With all her parts.

Yes, she is vulnerable outdoors, and she has learned. So she now will come inside on her own, especially if I am going away. I never want her out when I am not home.

I have a bunch of tigers. Each one is special. Yes, it is a small colony. Eventually I am making a sign for the yard that says “Cat Park.” All the neighbor cats come here to hang out. We have the occasional “catnip fiesta.” The word is out. The rules are: leave your bad attitude at home, everyone gets along, play nice, no nasty talk.

ThingsComeUndone | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:57 am 75
In response to bgrothus @ 74

My cat got into my cousins organic cat nip once all of it at once “chico’ was falling off footstools 2 days later I don’t think I’ve ever been that hung over.

Crosstimbers | Saturday May 23, 2009 08:00 am 76
In response to ChuckinDenton @ 72

Denton is located in the Eastern Crosstimbers, between the Black Prairie and the Grand Prairie. The Western Crosstimbers runs from Jacksboro down through Austin. It was belt of hardwoods adjacent to prairies, but is now becoming the |Crossconcrete.

Crosstimbers | Saturday May 23, 2009 08:07 am 77
In response to Crosstimbers @ 76

Anyway, nice to see you. There are a number of people of FDL from central Texas, but I didn’t know of any others from up here. We all have to bow heads and shuffle feet at the politics Texas has bestowed on the nation.

Leen | Saturday May 23, 2009 08:22 am 78

Glad you had a great trip Christy.

What has been catching my eye for six years and increasingly catching my eye is our march towards a military confrontation with Iran (being pushed hard by Aipac and Israel)

Lawmakers pushing for Iran sanctions

By Ron Kampeas · March 31, 2009

Rep. Howard Berman is among the leading Democrats in Congress who signed a letter to President Obama pressing the Obama administration to tighten sanctions on Iran. (Office of Howard Berman)

WASHINGTON (JTA) — President Obama has shown Iran the carrot and now Congress wants to wave the stick.

In perhaps the most substantial volley emanating from pro-Israel forces who hope to contain Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons plans, several of the most senior and powerful Democrats in the U.S. Congress sent a letter to the president last week urging stepped-up action.

Signed by several key Democratic lawmakers, including Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), the House of Representatives majority leader, the letter backs the Obama administration’s pledge to pursue talks with Iran, but insists that engagement must be “serious and credible,” and not “open-ended.”

Talks should be launched “as soon as possible,” the letter states, and if they fail to produce results quickly, then Obama should use executive orders to implement various sanctions. Obama had backed some of the sanctions last year when he was a U.S. senator and running for president.

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee strongly praised the letter.

Legislation being pushed
tougher sanctions

Legislation

Netanyahu wants Obama’s focus to be on Iran not a Palestinian state

Israeli four day air drill

katymine | Saturday May 23, 2009 08:37 am 79

A week ago I lost all my hair…. my 85yr old Dad has more hair……. q-ball…..collecting a stack of hats and ordered two wigs from the American Cancer Society………..Radiation is so kind…. even stubble was gone…….

Thankfully the IV chemo I am taking will allow my hair to grow.

Leen | Saturday May 23, 2009 08:50 am 80
In response to SouthernDragon @ 70

prayers for you Katymine

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 09:32 am 81
In response to katymine @ 79

if i were a male in my family, i would be bald. genes from both sides.

glad you are keeping your ‘lid’ warm while you heal. but don’t hesitate to ‘go lidless’ when the time comes..i can’t remember seeing someone bald, male or female, and thinking ‘they would be better looking with hair’…i guess cuz the soul shines through. many of my relatives were bald-since i was born, and know people who have lost their ‘locks’ either through illness or genes. didn’t change their smiles or their eyes.

if i am ever in your shoes, i hope i would handle it as well as you are.

eat your veggies.
take care.

RevBev | Saturday May 23, 2009 09:36 am 82
In response to dmac @ 81

Did you see the Farrah story? So touching….of course, a point of view about hair, with a bit of tragi-humor, I guess one would say.

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 09:36 am 83
In response to dmac @ 81

meant using a ‘lid’ to keep warm…not the other way—-other way ‘lidless’ means ‘headless’, we don’t want you running around ‘headless’… ha. duh.

dmac | Saturday May 23, 2009 09:43 am 84

no, i didn’t.

already know what—, well, no way to put it…so i won’t.

no, i didn’t watch it, but i’m glad people did who wanted to. 9 million i heard.

they reran it on msnbc last night i think, late….i’ll watch it someday maybe.

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 03:32 pm 85
In response to bgrothus @ 74

nice. thank you. ;->

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 03:36 pm 86

Katymine. Lots of supportive thoughts from our whole household.

Some of ours have been there.

Love to you. Don’t be shy about taking care of yourself, however you wish.

Healing, in its many forms. We wish that for you. ;->

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:39 pm 87

‘fraid not. I don’t even know what they are. My birdie contacts are pretty much direct species to species, but I’d like to know more about the site you mentioned. Thanks. Hope you get this. I’ve been gone most of the day.

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 06:53 pm 88
In response to Lindy @ 28

No shame in that. My experience is that the birds that tend to come close anyway learn to recognize different people. Some of ours are embarrassingly tame, except when we try to demonstrate to strangers. I’ve tried to trick/test them by wearing a hood or slicker sometimes. They catch on pretty quick. Perhaps the voice helps. I have a grand time occasionally trying to mimic chickadees (seem not fooled in the least, since I can’t whistle as high a pitch as they), titmice (foolishly competitive to the point that I stop out of sympathy), rose-breasted grosbeaks (tame tame tame, and the whistle trying to imitate the male’s song seems to strengthen the cross-species communication, as long as I don’t push it too far. He’s got a territory to defenc, after all. But I swear he knows it’s me and doesn’t seem to freak out like the titmice, with whom I need to maintain more discretion. Come to think of it, it’s a little like talking to different politicians – adapt to what they can understand and tolerate, and you might get further. Just a passing thot.

I, and I’m sure a whole lot of other folks out there, get scolded by chickadees and titmice when the oil sunflower’s not forthcoming.

And there’s nothing like the fierce stare of a hummer from 2″ outside our kitchen window to get his message across. I’ve come all this way from central america, and my feeder is not ready?!?! [I beat him by half a day this year, whew].

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:00 pm 89
In response to Lindy @ 28

Sharp-sounding wing-flapping in Mourning Doves very well might indicate that it’s a male. Folks surmise a meaning. I don’t know anyone’s tested, but it might very well be a subtle display saying, “HEALTHY MALE Whoopti-doo!

Adie | Saturday May 23, 2009 07:07 pm 90
In response to Adie @ 88

addendum: re the chickadees. Smart fellas, and they know the difference tw’ my whistle and theirs, but if you feed them regularly and whistle that 2-note call they often give, That’s sort of a “gathering” call, and they should learn to come to your version. At least, ours are generous enough to show they recognized we tried, heh. Titmice, although pretty closely related, are not tame enough, in my experience, to dare getting quite as close to a human as chickadees.