Pull Up A Chair…

Yesterday afternoon, The Peanut and I put together trellises for our garden, with a little help from Mr. ReddHedd. All of our sugar snap peas and snow peas have sprouted, and a trellis was desperately needed before they started crawling all over the garden with their clingy little tendrils.

Now?  We’re good to grow vertical for the whole summer. Tomatoes, here we come.

While we were outside tying up the nylon netting onto the galvanized steel trellis frame, I flashed back to doing the same sort of thing with my granny and my parents through the years. The continuity is comfort in action.

I realized, in that moment, that my tension had eased back a little bit. That The Peanut and I were just in the moment. And it was so much fun.

Then I wondered, why don’t we do this more often?

Other than that, I’ve got nothing this morning. Seriously. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

My creative well is dry.

The page is bare, and I’ve got bupkis.

Found this gorgeous photo, and couldn’t wait to share it with you. But there has been such a long string of crapola this week, coupled with everything I’ve been doing around the house and…

Well, you know, you live this life, too.

We all do. We’re all running around like crazy people alla time, and that moment where you pause to breathe — for me, anyway — comes a few seconds before I turn off the light and conk out for the night.

Let’s talk about what we are doing to refill our own wells. Because lately? I’ve been feeling like the whole country could use a nice deep breath and something fun for a change. Pull up a chair…

PS — A bonus Yo Yo Ma and the Silk Road ensemble link:  Arabian Waltz.  Enjoy.

175 Responses to "Pull Up A Chair…"
Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:15 am 1

Ahh Good Morning Christy

Gorgeous tulips.
A good walk is a first step

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:17 am 2

Good morning.

I bought 22 trees last Sunday, and have been planting all week. Got 2 more left, and it looks like the rain will hold off to let me finish today. Gotta say that the first 2 days of planting were 90 degrees, and it was exhausting. The rest of the week has been perfect.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:17 am 3

Good morning, Christy. I am headed to the local garden store for 5 flats of impatiens (just about the only thing that will grow in my shady yard). Too cool to plant them here in NW Indiana — it’s 44 right now, barely getting into the 60s this week — but it feels good just to BUY them and hopefully keep them going in their little bits of dirt until I can plant. Somehow this spring ritual seems like a new beginning.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:27 am 4

wow eCAHN, those were hot hot days to be outside working, I admire your fortitude.

Special landscaping trees you are planting or are you making a woodland? I forget how much property you have but it sure is a beautiful place.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:29 am 5
In response to msmolly @ 3

msmolly you are impatient for impatiens.
They are fun to grow and so satisfying, such a swath of color or colors. You have given me an idea for a tricky spot.

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:30 am 6

Morning Christy, I had a great one on one with Sen. Michael Bennet last night. He has known Dawn Johnson since he was a deputy AG during the Clinton admin. Strong supporter and is close friends with Choo (sp) and working to get him confirmed.

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:31 am 7
In response to Elliott @ 4

I have 50 acres. About 30 get mowed (using bushhog) every autum. But there are many rocks in the field that are too low to see and too high to mow over. So I’m marking them with trees along the edge of the property, and bird boxes in the middle to maintain the viewshed.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:36 am 8

ahh, very clever!

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:37 am 9

My creative well is dry.

Sorry. I don’t buy that for a second. It’s just taking much-needed time to re-charge, my dear. It’s telling you to pause and enjoy your little companion. She won’t stay that size very long. How about asking Mr Redd to take a pic of the two of you gardening, for your scrapbook. Then do the same for him. Take a pic of her with Grandpa and Mr. Redd. ;->

Prairie Sunshine | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:37 am 10

* yawn *
Feelin’ in the bupkis dept. myself, today, Christy! Too much big world frazzle, too much my life frazzle these days.

Here’s the entirety of my blogging for today, a whopping 5 sentences.

Where In the District Is Bachmann Lyin’ Today?
It’s the weekend in Washington and on Wall Street and in Minnesota’s Sixth Congressional District. So, where in the CD-6th is Michele Bachmann today? And what Big Lie is she tellin’?Michele Bachmann—the gift who keeps on giving… c’mon, girl, we’re counting on you….

* yawn again * hmmmm, need coffee…. wonder if the Breadsmith made caramel rolls this morning?……

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:38 am 11
In response to Elliott @ 8

It’s an expensive project, so every year I try to make more progress.

Millineryman | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:40 am 12

Hello, I must be going,
I cannot stay, I came to say, I must be going.
I’m glad I came, but just the same I must be going.
La La.
_Groucho Marx

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:40 am 13
In response to Elliott @ 5

I have to buy them now. If I wait until Mother’s Day or the week after, they are all picked over and some colors are scarce. I’m not sure why they’re gone so quickly, since we can’t plant them yet. But I love the color when they get going in the summer! There isn’t much that will grow in the deep shade I have.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:41 am 14

Mornin’ Christy and pups! Been busy around here for a while. Spending my little mortgage company escrow hold-out windfall/payment also wrong creeps i knew i was right, on getting the house in shape.
one little purchase was the best i’ve ever made–this sink and faucet–one of the most beautiful things i’ve ever seen.

Dug plants at a friend’s house last night. Took another friend along. Got enough for my shady patio bed under the trees and she has enough for her new front bed at her farmhouse.

The place is on my flickr page, g’s gardens set, 1200 species of plants. It is so beautiful. It’s where I hang out the most, there and the other friend’s farmhouse. She kept saying, what else do you guys want? I haven’t gardened for a while and every year she offers. This year I took her up on the offer. My sable was completely packed with plastic grocery bags full of plants. I mean FULL.

Other best friends for 30 years coming in to town to help me get them in, and do other things around here. The clutter-clearing has been going very well, I now have a guest room instead of a junk room. Still more to go, but things are lookin’ good! Takes longer than I thought.

msmolly there are lots of things that can take shade, although they don’t flower as brightly all season like impatiens.

These are some we dug yesterday, then I will pop in some color around them, going to see how the hostas look first. All kinds. And it looks into the woolds and ravine, so, might just leave it whites and golds and greens.
Hostas, ferns, perennial geraniums, astilbes, ground-cover comfrey, etc.

Chilly here this morning, but looking forward to my friends coming. And have a new mattress and box springs for the beds and i sure am sleeping better and in less pain in the morning.
so, have missed everyone, but house is #1 priority right now. Taking advantage of the cheap help that showed up. make hay while the sun shines!
Hope all have a great day!

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:41 am 15
In response to msmolly @ 13

Rabbits eat impatiens if I plant them. Took me a couple of years to stop trying.

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:44 am 16

Our 13 year old cat, Maggie, was killed by a car right before my son and I moved into our new home at the end of 2007. Since that time, I’ve wanted to get another cat, but my son has been reluctant to because he felt that it would undermine Ms. Mags. Well, he changed his mind a week ago and here’s our new kitten, Gibby (he’s named after the lead singer of the Butthole Surfers LOL):

He is so darn cute!

By the way Christy, I think you’d be an excellent choice to fill Justic Souter’s spot!

Today I’m planting some more lily’s. Can’t wait.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:44 am 17

Ever consider a patch of red-twig dogwood here and there in the middle for cover and GOOD wildlife nibbling? A patch you avoid with the mower, and opt for purple coneflower and milkweed and bee balm? None of those should obstruct your view.

p.s., I get a big charge out of knowing of a gifted economist who also knows how to mow with a bushhog. You go grrrrl! ;->

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:44 am 18

‘Morning, Christy and Firepups.

Just getting ready to go for a warm-up walk with my son, who has his first soccer match of the season later this morning. We’re all by ourselves since the spouse is up north on a much-needed golf weekend with his peeps and my daughter is on an overnight with her own peeps.

Wonder what we’ll see in a minute as we hit the walking trail? Will let you know in a few.

Thanks for the Friday Sunset, too, Christy. Another good one. One can see how steeped in his philosophy Jefferson was throughout his entire life; there are echoes of the Declaration of Independence in that piece.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:45 am 19

Morning all — was working on a SCOTUS piece for later and forgot what time it was. *g*

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:46 am 20
In response to Adie @ 17

I’ve got tons of milkweed. Last year was a good one for monarchs. Buttercups in May. Whatever grows up is what is in the field. Got lots of poison ivy too. And hoping that someone discovers a cancer cure using it, cause then I’ll be rich.

Bluetoe2 | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:46 am 21

What kind of trees did you plant?

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:47 am 22

Excellent news! Wish he’d be more publicly vocal about it, but I’ll take behind-the-scenes work, too. *g*

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:47 am 23
In response to Millineryman @ 12

G’Mornin’ Millineryman. Sounds as if you might want to go sit in the sun. I will if you will. ;->

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:48 am 24

Has anyone heard from Katymine since Elmore’s brief note?

Prairie Sunshine | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:48 am 25

Trellises.

Several years ago I made a freestanding pyramid trellis from 3 triangular flat trellises, turned upside down and lashed together, then used stakes to anchor.

Looks something like this. Now I’m mulling something fun for a “cap.”

It nicely blocks the gap in the lilac hedge at the back of the garden. Nasturtiums love it.

JimWhite | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:49 am 26

Thanks for the Yo Yo Ma.

This is a big month in our household. Our older daughter graduates from high school. Her school does an annual trip to New York City for the seniors, and I’ve been really worried the swine flu panic would cancel the trip. That would be especially unfortunate for her, since her fifth grade safety patrol trip to Washington, DC got canceled over 9/11 (even though it wasn’t scheduled until the following March; there were just a lot of pants-wetters among the parents). With the infection rate going down in Mexico, I think this trip will come off.

This summer will pass far too quickly…

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:50 am 27
In response to Adie @ 17

Are you refering to a brushhog? An implement pulled by a tractor or a bushhog which is an ATV?

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:50 am 28

that’s the spirit! heh. it’s o.k. to take much-needed time to recharge the batteries, you know. Afterward, it’s amazing how much more easily the ideas come.

Confession: several of us would love to see you on SCOTUS one of these days.

We can dream…. Would you accept?

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:51 am 29
In response to Bluetoe2 @ 21

Norway spruce (those are the two that will get planted today), red bud, maples, poplars, dogwoods, blue spruce.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:52 am 30
In response to KayInMaine @ 16

Thank you, Kay — but I’m not nearly qualified compared ot some of the resumes I’ve been browsing through to write up bio information for you all. It’s daunting to see how much incredible work some of these folks have achieved. Truly.

And inspiring, too.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:52 am 31

forgot that, thanks…..my cat ellie has brought in three baby bunnies so far…finally had to close the deck screen.

and the hostas are just me planting deer treats……but am planting them anyway. they hang out right below the deck….but i’m thinking since it’s cleared off and i’ll be down there more that maybe they won’t be….
well, it’s a thought anyway. ha.

they won’t eat the other things.
forgot about the impatiens being bunny treats, maybe i can elevate them in pots if i decide to put some bright color down there.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:53 am 32

Sounds beautiful, even with the poison ivy.

I always think of poison ivy and thistles whenever some Madison Ave. whiz kid re-invents an ad showing a barefoot couple capering in an open field, heh.

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:53 am 33

He says that there will be a lot more coming out on the torture issue. It makes the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

Raven | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:54 am 34

No time, garden, bye!

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:54 am 35
In response to KayInMaine @ 16

Beautiful kitty! Enjoy. I see I missed your job opportunity for Christy and repeated the thought later in the thread. Great minds…. ;->

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:56 am 36

He says that there will be a lot more coming out on the torture issue policy difference.

Fixed it up for you in the Obama era.

Bluetoe2 | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:56 am 37

Sounds great. Are the poplars Quaking Aspen by any chance? A great tree that’s gotten a lot of bad press. Outstanding fall color. What was your source? Mail order, local nursery?

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:57 am 38
In response to msmolly @ 24

I haven’t heard anything and I was just thinking about her, too, and hoping things are going a little better. Hugs, katymine!

musicsleuth | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:57 am 39

My garden will have to wait another week. I’ll need to get the plants before Mother’s Day, though, or there’s nothing left! I’m playing for an outdoor wedding north of town about an hour so it will take all day. With any luck I can sneak out to the nursery before my son’s cello rehearsal on Sunday.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:57 am 40
In response to KayInMaine @ 16

What a cute bebbeh kitteh!

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:57 am 41

OK. Gonna go plant. BBL.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:58 am 42
In response to dmac @ 14

Yes, but haven’t found anything as colorful. I have lots of impatiens and lots of green-and-white hosta and just settle for that.

I LOOOOVE that vessel bowl and faucet. My sister and husband put one in their house in California. Unfortunately I’d have to replace the entire countertop to install one (one of those molded counter-and-sink) and it’s dated but my first priority is going to be new kitchen counters, sink and faucet, and stove. All are original in my 20-year-old house. I dread the mess and expense, but have to do it.

eCAHNomics | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:58 am 43
In response to Bluetoe2 @ 37

Local nursery. Nope, just regular poplars. The deer were at them immediately. I put some fencing around & hung Irish Spring soup. Will see if that helps. Local nursery that has hundreds of trees and shrubs.

Prairie Sunshine | Saturday May 2, 2009 05:59 am 44
In response to dmac @ 31

Bunnies may be your hosta predators, too. They love to eat ‘em in my back yard. The spaniels do their best to keep them at bay, they simply retreat to under the neighbor’s playhouse and do what bunnies do….

musicsleuth | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:01 am 45

I’ll have to lend you my son and the neighbor boys. They’ve been peeing down the hill since they were preschoolers and now think it’s their birthright…

Good news is it does keep the deer away!

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:01 am 46
In response to Raven @ 34

Hi Raven! Ours is too wet after lovely rains the last 2 days. Thas o.k. I got my flutterby-n-hummer fleurs spread around from chunks of last year’s plants, just before the showers started.

Too smug by half, she is. heh.

The morning sun is gorgeous streaming through our woods today, with the leaves only partly emerged, and glistening from the rain. Where’s that realtor when I need her, sigh. She also could have profited from hearing our Swainson’s Thrush migrant singing on his way through this a.m. positively ethereal. No church organ could match him.

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:03 am 47

It will be prosecuted! Says that they will have to prosecute the more aggrecious actions in CIA too. Trying to depoliticize so that it doesn’t overwhelm and become all consuming.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:04 am 48

It must be aired in the light of day. Those guilty cannot succeed in hiding their hideous deeds, hopefully sooner rather than later. I want to see bigtime sweat.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:05 am 49

Wasn’t she getting a brain tumor zapped this time? When she mentioned the procedure I googled it and learned a bit. I think a cousin of mine had that done once several years ago. May take some recovery time.

(((hiya katymine!!)))

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:06 am 50
In response to musicsleuth @ 45

There actually is a deer repellant you can buy at a garden store (or Lowe’s or Home Depot) that is formulated to smell like pee and it does work to keep critters away, but you have to reapply it after a rain.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:07 am 51
In response to msmolly @ 49

it’s a tough fight
(((katymine)))

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:08 am 52

You’d be fabulous on the Court, Christy. ;-)

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:09 am 53
In response to Elliott @ 40

I just want to put him between two pieces of bread and eat him ’cause he’s so darn cute!!! LOL

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:10 am 54
In response to Adie @ 48

It is coming out and there will be a lot more to come. Meanwhile I don’t think we want it to subsume healthcare, environment and all the other important things that need to be done.

Lindy | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:10 am 55

Good morning, Christy and Pups.

I’ve been gardening as well as I can in a back yard. And taking photos :). This album is called Looking Out My Backdoor.

We’re about to leave now to work on a community garden site. It needs some clean-up before we can get the soil and plants in. Whatever you do today, I hope you enjoy it and find an island of peace in the moments.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:10 am 56
In response to msmolly @ 42

i have to replace the floor. have to rip everything out. friends are giving me leftover tiles. the floor since i ahve lived here has been patched underlayment that the old owners covered over with carpet.

couldn’t find a corner sink and cabinet, so, am reusing old cabinet, stopped at the rock place the other day, am using board and making a countertop out of rock. wood trim around the edge. won’t cost that much. or may find a remnant countertop.
tile is that 70’s ochre/mustard yellow tile. can’t replace it.

tight budget, but can make it nice. that sink is soooo pretty. coke bottle green and clear, changes with the light.

am making a shower curtain out of this

or this-

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:10 am 57
In response to KayInMaine @ 16

Gorgeous little tiger. Look at the head on that thing. *g*

One of the cat lady’s girls had kittens a week ago. Much to Eileen’s dismay Mama has chosen my place to bring them up. Originally a litter of 4 we’re down to 3. Eileen’s tried everything to lure Mama over to her place but no go. Twice this week I found them in the bed of my truck when I went to go back to work after lunch. When I come home Eileen is after to me to find where Mama has stashed the babies so I get my hands on them quite a bit. Mama doesn’t run from me any more but I can only get about 4 feet from her before she moves away. Had a time getting Eileen to stop feeding Mama junk human food. As much as she loves “her babies,” she doesn’t really know much about cats in general. I haven’t been outside yet this mornin’ and I know that’s drivin’ Eileen crazy cuz she wants to know where they are every minute. Gonna get the boss’s daughter to come over early next week and take some pictures of the kittens while I hold them.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:12 am 58

G’morning, everyone. Your day is now complete. barbara is here! *g*

(((Christy)))
(((katymine)))
(((pups)))

Now to read the comments.

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:12 am 59
In response to Adie @ 35

Sorry Adie! I didn’t read your comment when I wrote that Christy would be fabulous for the SCOTUS. You’re right….great minds think alike!

Christy, being an attorney is not a qualification for the court…..and you are an attorney, so really, you’re ahead of the game! Marcy would be a fantastic pick too. ;-)

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:14 am 60
In response to Prairie Sunshine @ 44

rofl….yes, they do do what they do…..

i bet it’s them and the deer……a few weeks ago, i heard them going through the ravine, 5 of them……and the bunnies have been out and about, too.

Lindy | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:14 am 61
In response to dmac @ 56

I like the first pattern for a shower curtain!

Bluetoe2 | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:15 am 62

Heard that some people collect hair from their local barbershops and spread it around plants they want to protect from the wildlife.

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:15 am 63
In response to Lindy @ 55

Lovely backyard. I just looked out my window and cringed at mine. LOL! Stuff is growing out there but the presentation could be a little more manicured if you know what I mean….*pointing to the very uneven edging that is an embarrassment to all who look at it*.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:16 am 64
In response to dmac @ 56

Someone told me recently that slate makes a good countertop and is relatively cheap. I have to look at resale (not soon, but at some point) so I may have to put in granite or Silestone (using my home equity line). I have a dark wood parquet floor in the kitchen that I dislike, but it would be very costly to rip it out. Makes the whole kitchen dark in the summer when the trees are leafed out and it’s shady. Sigh. Always something to eat up the pennies.

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:16 am 65
In response to SouthernDragon @ 57

Love widdy wats! Life without cats (or animals) should be illegal. ;-) Please post some pics of your kitties if you can, SD!

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:18 am 66
In response to dmac @ 56

Since you (didn’t) ask, I like the first one, too. More contemporary!

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:18 am 67

Missed Elmore’s comment. Could someone update me, please? Thanks!!

Waccamaw | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:18 am 68

Sounds like “good news” and “bad news” all rolled into one.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:19 am 69

Um. I would call it a brushhog also, but was merely repeating what eCAHN called it at #7. I wuz trying to tread carefully, so now I’ll catch it from both sides. I meant no harm. Honest!?! *boo hoo, sniffle*

foothillsmike | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:20 am 70

BTW, Sen, Bennet is in favor of single payer but fears compromises will be necessary.

Bluetoe2 | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:21 am 71
In response to msmolly @ 64

Have you thought about using a recycled product for your countertops rather than a ? Go green.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:21 am 72
In response to Lindy @ 61

yeah, thanks lindy, i know you know color. i think it’ll look a little island-y..and may paint the cabinet that payne’s grey color…wanted to put a smaller cabinet in, but went with the larger sink and existing cabinet that’s 36″ long.
that shower curtain is what started it all….and the yellow/green/blue bowl in the bathroom that my best friend made. woke me out of my stupor that i could make it look nice without much money. just waiting to see which one the tile matches…..they are coming in to town today and bringing the tile.

i like that one the best, too….may use the other one on the deck for my swing and lounge chair cushions. it would look good there. my adirondack chairs are that color blue. don’t want to paint them yet, too much else to do.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:21 am 73
In response to msmolly @ 64

I have a dark kitchen floor, too. Bought some large, light throw rugs (with rubbery backing so they don’t slide around). Major visual change for not too many dollars. Think Target!

diablesseblu | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:22 am 74

Just a quick “flyby” to say hi. Have been offline lately due to computer problems and have missed everyone. The local library’s computers will not access FDL, TPM and many of my favorites….so not much point of going by there.

Will be spending my day cleaning up after lawyers to be….as opposed to those who are practicing ;-). Just put my daughter on a plane to Venice and future SIL to Japan. The study of law is truly becoming global.

They left the AM after their exams ended so mom is here to clean their house etc. as a small “peace of mind” gift to them. My own mother’s not happy about my absence but have not had a break from my caregiving tasks since before Xmas and I’m due. This weekend away — being quiet and constructive — is an early Mother’s Day gift to me.

Hope all is well with the pups and special hugs to Katymine. Hope she and/or Elmore will check in.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:24 am 75
In response to diablesseblu @ 74

Good to see you! Have a great day — and a little peace and quiet somewhere in the clean-up mix. :)

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 76

I’ve never been able to search FDL very successfully, so maybe someone can find it, but he said she isn’t able to post for awhile but was reading everything.

Maybe someone can dig up the comment, and her earlier post on the procedure she was having.

solai | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 77

Morning. Haven’t even started the garden I plan on having this year. The weather’s not cooperating. Plus, the aunt that I help had another mini-stroke. She’s back home now (refused to go to rehab) so I’m at her house as much as I can be. But, I’m determined to have at least tomatoes, peas, beans and herbs.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 78

Blogged it last week — here you go.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 79
In response to Bluetoe2 @ 71

I am open to anything. What do you mean “a recycled product” and where do I find it?

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 80
In response to Lindy @ 55

You have a wonderful view out your back door :)
Thanks for sharing the pics

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:25 am 81
In response to Adie @ 69

even the “Irish Spring soup” at #43.

Never correct an economist in public. Mark my words.

Oh Dog I’m gonna catch it for good this time.

Good bye cruel world…….

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:26 am 82
In response to msmolly @ 76

Oh, thanks. Close enough to give me a sense of things.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:27 am 83
In response to msmolly @ 76

Here’s a tip for the CHS site anyway. If you go up to the bar under the top picture (the header), there is a tab for “archives.” You can pull up subjects and look back through the prior posts by topic pretty easily there.

HTH!

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:29 am 84
In response to KayInMaine @ 59

Heh heh! What are you apologizing for?! I think we had a positively brilliant idea, and I know others around hereabouts share the sentiment. We have a dream. What’s the harm.

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:29 am 85
In response to KayInMaine @ 65

When Jody comes over to take pics I’ll post ‘em. In the meantime here’s Bapu at about 6 months. He’s now 6. Looks pretty much the same, except way bigger. His brother, Tama, was bigger when they were younger but Bapu has overtaken Tama slightly in size. Real joys to be around.

RevBev | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:30 am 86

Welcome, hope all is well. I saw the latest, I think, Coleman update last night. Looks like you, and we, may be moving a little nearer to a Sen Franken. Will also be intersting to see where Coleman goes to mourn.

Waccamaw | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:31 am 87

Trying a few potatoes this year…some in fabric bags and others in wooden produce boxes. Does anyone know what might be chewing on sides of stems which then causes the portion of the plant above to go *flop* and *die*? Have looked for slugs but don’t see any slime evidence or any other kinds of bugs. No luck with teh google. :-(

If I go *poof* it’s a neighbor come to admire the new iris that are blooming and help me tie up a Confederate jasmine. Will check back later if she arrives.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:32 am 88
In response to msmolly @ 64

wide variety of rock…even thought about making my own tiles/surface since the studio set-up is next on the organizing the house list. kiln already hooked up. called someone about a slab roller, she’s been trying to give it away, now of course she wants to sell it now that i want it. oh well. let it be.

could you sand the floor? that would lighten it up. or paint it? or just throw linoleum over it if it makes you that crazy. cork tiles or industrial tiles they come in a kazillion colors. i would love a light parquet floor. send it to ohio…ha…that would take a while to put that puzzle back together.

yes, the pennies go faaaaast. most of mine went to teenagers helping outside and a friend who cleans and is a gifted organizer. I finally had the exact help i needed when i had the money to pay them. My mortgage company was screwing me, and they finally paid up after bugging them repeatedly to look into it. it wasn’t that much, but it went far enough to get things going.

Prairie Sunshine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:32 am 89
In response to Lindy @ 55

an island of peace

What a lovely thought. At brunch Thurs our hostess pointed out the peace garden she and her next door neighbor planted along their property line.

~ Sandy in a Peace Garden State [ND’s nickname] of mind today.

Would that every boulevard in America had a small circle of peace garden growing on it. Wouldn’t that brighten up everybody! Maybe interlinked flowers–food for the spirit–with veggies–food for the body.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:32 am 90

Ah, thanks. Was doing my Peoria pilgrimage that day. Christy, please take care of yourself. You are spread thin as a watered-down coffee spill on the countertop. (Lordy, where did THAT come from — though I do mean it.) Funny thing. I look so forward to your posts here and am disappointed on those rare days when there isn’t one. So I’m one of many who talks out of both sides of the mouth about your taking care. I find myself wanting to park my ample butt on a glider with you, sip something a touch sinful and silently watch the flowers and the birdies for a while. (((hugs)))

AdAstra | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:35 am 91

No gardening here in Butte. But the snow has stopped for now (they got over two feet of snow in Great Falls this week, over four feet farther north).

Last night, the community saw a new documentary on Butte history, which is so intimately tied into the labor movement. Today, I will hunt for labor leader Frank Little’s grave, which is engraved “killed by capitalists.” He was hauled out of his hotel room and hung in 1917. The documentary is a PBS one, but I don’t know when it will air. It was an honor to watch it with some of the old miners in the audience, along with their descendents.

I continue to purge and purge possessions preparatory to moving overseas (the shippers come next week). There is a real pull between holding onto things sentimental and just letting go of more and more. I’m now in the phase of having fun watching people get things for free. An eight year old delighted at getting my fossil collection, a grad student saying “You are just giving away this Cross pen set! I love it!” A desk here, some chairs there, a table headed for a new home.

I found some old, unexamined family papers and finally confirmed the rumor of childhood. My uncle hid in a hospital from the Communists during the extended civil war in the late teens and early 20’s in southern Russia. He worked as an orderly, but was called a doctor. He writes that he was in charge of a ward of cannibals during the intense famine. Interesting to have that verified. Nearly a hundred years later and the family circumstances are so incredibly different for all of us.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:37 am 92

LOL. I wonder if we have the same rugs? One of this weekend’s chores is to go to the laundromat and wash my Target cream colored, rubber backed kitchen throw rugs. One could go in my washer, the other is 3′ X 5′ and way too big. I have to wash them every 4 – 6 weeks because they show spots and other dirt, but they DO brighten up the kitchen. I got a new roof last fall and I had them put in a small skylight and that helps too.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:38 am 93
In response to Waccamaw @ 87

Could maybe be a Colorado potato beetle? Although they usually eat leaves in my experience…

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:39 am 94
In response to Waccamaw @ 87

Cutworms. They’ll cut off a plant just above the soil level and leave the rest of the plant. If it was rabbits, they’d eat the whole plant.

Save the tubes from paper towel and toilet paper and cut them in 2-3 inch lengths, with a cut up the side. Slip them over the plant like a collar, but submerge below the soil by at least an inch. Make sure the slit on the side is not open — it’ll be needed when the plant is more mature and the cutworms are no longer a threat, in order to pull the collar away from the stem.

MrWhy | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:40 am 95

There once was a red headed gardener
Whose labours festooned her bright larder.
Peanuts and puppies
And in-laws and guppies
Shared her toils and travails and her ardor.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:40 am 96
In response to AdAstra @ 91

oh my!
meaning they were hospitalized because of what they had to do to survive?

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:40 am 97

I could use a pitcher of something sinful, to be perfectly honest. It’s been one of those weeks here. *g*

One of these days, I’ll take you up on that glider offer…

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:41 am 98

You know, this living in the valley of the shadow of Norm is getting on everyone’s last nerve. That the man would allow himself to be a Republican pawn in this high stakes “game” is reason enough to understand why this amoral tool needs to pack his bags and head out of Dodge. Mourning? Not so much, probably. I picture him whining his way to the hereafter. Wow. That was quite a screed, wasn’t it?!

solai | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:41 am 99

If anyone wants a perfect deterent to little critters eating their garden, buy a Siberian Husky. My sister had one for years. They are serious hunters. We used to joke that she should rent him out to anyone with a mouse in their house.
Now that my home is dog-less, she wants me to get a husky to keep the rabbits etc away from our gardens.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:42 am 100
In response to dmac @ 88

Yes, I could sand it and stain it a light color. That may be my only option other than my light colored rugs. The estimate to rip it out made my eyeballs roll back in my head!

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:42 am 101
In response to Rayne @ 94

Oh nuts, should have added if you don’t have any cardboard tubes in your recycle bin, use paper cups with the bottoms cut off.

Lovely spring day outside here in Michigan, lots of violets blooming dotted with dandelions for a little relief.

Rabbits. Lots and lots of rabbits.

Going to be a mudder on the soccer field, I’m afraid. Better take a tarp for the boy to sit on after the game. [sigh]

bgrothus | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:42 am 102

GM to everyone. KayinMaine, that is a “dickens,” adorable of course.

Ms. Molly, there are “bone yards” at your local stone-counter suppliers. If you have just a small counter, lots of times there are returns, breakage or other losses that the cutters will sell for big discounts that can be adapted for your use. Not sure if you would need some kind of contractor/business license to get access, but you could try. Also, lots of places have Habitat for Humanity re-sale stores where you can buy used materials to re-cycle. They often have tile remnants and other supplies that are not enough for a big job but will be fantastic for small jobs. I am a big advocate for recycled building supplies.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:43 am 103
In response to MrWhy @ 95

Oh my — I LOVE it. Thank you. :)

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:43 am 104
In response to msmolly @ 92

Oh, funny! Cream colored with a border of multi-colored stripes? One of mine is too big to get into a washing machine, so I do a lot of spot-cleaning. Okay. Should do a lot of spot cleaning. Spot clean occasionally. *g*

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:43 am 105

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Norm I will fear no evil cuz I’m the meanest [insert favourite descriptor here] in the valley.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:43 am 106

Christy. I e-mailed Sen Sherrod Brown and, after a quick canned acknowledgement, got a rather prompt, personal-sounding reply. I honestly think the guy answers his own mail(!).

Still no promise from him on how he’ll vote on Dawn Johnsen, but it’s obvious he’s paying attention. Signs seem pretty good to me (fingers crossed).

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:45 am 107
In response to Rayne @ 94

that was my first thought too, cutworms

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:46 am 108

Have glider, will travel. *g*

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:46 am 109
In response to SouthernDragon @ 85

Gibby looks like your two kitties, except he has a little more black on his back than the tiger coloring. So cute! Thanks for sharing, SD! I look forward to pics of the new babies!

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:47 am 110
In response to bgrothus @ 102

We have a ReStore place here in South Bend, and I might be able to get access you mention. But I have a LOT of countertop, unfortunately. I’m pretty handy, but have never tackled stuff like tile, and the result has to look nice and professional. So that’s probably not an option, unfortunately. I’m just hoping that with the economy so bad, people will be anxious for the work and I’ll get a good price.

AdAstra | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:49 am 111
In response to Elliott @ 96

I’m not really sure if they were there as a community response (forcibly removed from the community) or if they went a bit bonkers after all they endured. It is rather cryptic – “All the cannibal cases of that time came under observation. It was the time of the great famine.” My father, the youngest brother, talked of eating anything at all that moved, including pets and also any critters he could find near the old creek bed. My oldest cousin died of starvation during that time.

When I get discouraged about things, I remind myself of the desperation of those times and how the fact that Canada admitted them as refugees saved lives and made my life possible. (The US wouldn’t let them in during the Red Scare.) Oh, Canada, indeed.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:51 am 112

have to go, will check back later to read the rest….

and a kinda sad thing, my blue jays high in the pine tree by the dining room window haven’t been in their nest all morning…the babies hatched the other day…haven’t seen the parents feeding all morning. it is pretty chilly here, can’t imagine the mama not keeping them warm. don’t know what happened.

am wondering if the noise from the saw yesterday made them leave. but i can’t imagine it would have. yesterday morning i heard one squawking at dawn, but after that, not a peep. dunno. it’s so sad. was such an honor having them right there.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:52 am 113
In response to dmac @ 112

Would the babies have fledged already, do you think?

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:52 am 114
In response to Elliott @ 107

Yeah, expensive little buggers, too. Lost an entire flat of broccoli to them one year, part of a flat of tomato plants the next year.

It’s this stuff which makes chemicals so tempting…but there are a couple of non-chemical methods besides the collars which will work, like BT and nematodes.

Been very happy with Gardens Alive products, especially for the nematodes to put down for cutworms/grubs; there’s been a bad case of lawn grubs around here (probably a big batch of June bugs coming this summer).

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:53 am 115
In response to Adie @ 106

Thanks for the update — much appreciated. If you get a definite yay or nay, can you let me know, please?

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:53 am 116

No border, just bound with matching thread. It is lengthwise “stripes” of very pale blue, green, pink and cream — VERY pale colors, so the impression is of a cream-colored rug.

bgrothus | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:53 am 117

Ms. Molly, If you can manage a solid surface, I recommend that over tile on the counter top. It is more maintenance over the long haul to keep the grout in good shape.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:54 am 118
In response to Rayne @ 114

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:56 am 119
In response to KayInMaine @ 109

Gibby and Gabby. Gabby is a small boy. Lives up to his name. My caption for this pic would be “I can haz cheez?” Stands up on my toes when I’m cutting anything in the kitchen. Thinks everything in the fridge is cheese. Very disappointed with an onion slice.

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:57 am 120

my next door neighbor lent me his power washer. i’m a relatively new homeowner and it was the first time i used a power washer. i was after the stains on the edges of the driveway from the pollen i didn’t clean up fast enough from my huge live oak tree in the front yard. it didn’t really get those stains, but the walkway from my front patio to the driveway is awesome. i’m tempted to wear sunglasses just to emphasize the point!

and….this morning i’m wearing a sock i”ve cut a hole in for the airing of my second toe. the 3 toes on my left foot are healing nicely, but i really made a mess of the toe on the right foot.

i believe i’m also responsible for a couple of tears in the hose of the washer.
i’ve already shown them to the neighbor and offered to replace his washer but he said it’s just the outer hose, not to worry. he’s a real gem.

so today i’m wearing crocs that won’t touch my toe.

i really enjoyed getting the walkway clean yesterday. it was just an awesome feeling.

my house backs up to a huge greenbelt with a beautiful creek at the bottom and normally 2 friends and their 5 dogs and i hike down and splash around first thing in the morning.

i also really love watering the outside plants in the morning.

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:57 am 121

msmolly (110) — surefire way to ensure a good price? ask for a discount for cash. Most contractors’ biggest complaint is not getting paid on time; they spend so much time and hassle trying to collect that it’s worth it to them to get paid immediately and not worry about bad checks.

But if you pay cash, absolutely must make sure you have them sign a release which says that work completed was paid in full; otherwise you’ll have no other documentation that you’ve paid. Must be a term agreed to upfront.

Built almost my entire house that way, improved lead time by weeks and months.

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:57 am 122
In response to bgrothus @ 117

A solid surface? I think that’s what I am planning, either granite or more likely Silestone. Keeping tile looking nice would be a real hassle. I think granite requires a lot more upkeep, which is why I am leaning toward Silestone. Neighbors have Silestone and it is lovely. Expensive, tho…

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:57 am 123
In response to Rayne @ 114

Oh! Just discovered you included the link in your post. Hard to see link contrast with quick read. My bad.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:58 am 124
In response to greenwarrior @ 120

I’m a little bit scared of the answer, but what did you do to your foot, gw? Ouch!

msmolly | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:59 am 125
In response to Rayne @ 121

What an excellent suggestion. It would be cash (my home equity line), but a great tip to ask for a discount for cash. Thanks!

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:59 am 126
In response to msmolly @ 24

i haven’t heard about katymine. sign me up as also wondering.

((((((katymine))))))

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 06:59 am 127
In response to SouthernDragon @ 119

Oh, what a cutie patootie kitteh!

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:00 am 128
In response to dmac @ 112

It’s still early. Hopefully they will re-nest, whatever happened. They might have to ratchet up the proper hormone mix internally, so don’t get discouraged if it’s not instantaneous. Blue Jays are fantastic parents. But they’re so smart, they are wary more often than a lot of other birds, I think. My bet is they might move to a more sheltered/secretive spot and have another go. Good luck. ;->

Waccamaw | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:01 am 129

Cutworms sounds like a real possibility but where do the buggers hide so ya can’t see ‘em? Wish I had known about the towel/t.p. roll thingie; just sent some off in the recycle bin last week. Will try to fashion something similar from some heavy paper. Thanks!

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:01 am 130
In response to greenwarrior @ 120

My next door neighbors were teasing me for checking on my garden first thing this morning. “Isn’t this were we saw you yesterday evening? You stay out here all night?”

Can I help it if the little garden box has a siren call to me with my coffee in the morning? We’re getting lots of rain, so no need to water today, but I did find that a new little spider has used the new trellis for a tiny little web support.

AdAstra | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:01 am 131
In response to greenwarrior @ 126

Last week, on Pull Up a Chair, was the last update that I’ve seen on kaytmine.

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:04 am 132

no, i don’t think so, that’s why i’m worried.

just started feeding them that i noticed three days ago.
they stood over them cocking their heads looking at them like parents do.

before that, was just mama, flying off here and there, back quickly, daddy feeding her bugs. after that, he would fly off, regurge to her, then they would both feed them….couldn’t see the babies, still little.

thought i saw a stick fly out a while ago, but could have been the wind.

when i’ve raised baby birds, i was told to feed them at least every few hours and they were bigger.

that’s why i’m worried, haven’t seen them all morning. haven’t gone out to the deck to look down to see if they are on the ground, just thought of it. they might not even be there, lots of wild things around here to ‘clean up’.

just looked, don’t see any. no signs of life. maybe j can climb up on the rail later and see in.

dunno. unless blue jays are way faster growing than other birds. and hatch with feathers. think it’s only been about three days.

haven’t seen either parent around at all.

thanks.

bbl.

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:06 am 133
In response to musicsleuth @ 45

does girl pee keep the deer away too?

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:07 am 134

Yeah, little Gabby is special. Absolute little love sponge. Purrs at the slightest touch. He and his brother Shiimsa were feral tigers and are still the spookiest of the bunch, most of whom were also feral.

bgrothus | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:07 am 135

There are lots of different kinds of solid surface, granite, silestone, and newer products like icestone that are made from re-cycled materials. Also there are recycled paper-based, glass, cement, etc. products. They do require upkeep and sealing, like any natural material.

But your contractor may have access to stuff, if you go that route. Pay cash, great suggestion. Make sure you don’t pay it all until the job is done and that the person has good references.

I talked to a local banker the other day who said one of our local high end builders is getting eaten alive by carrying costs on a lot of product (5 houses in the $1M range) that he can’t sell. Everyone is hurting right now. You might be surprised by who is looking for work. . .

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:09 am 136

yes, ouch. to put this in a pc way: i am not exactly adept with tools. there was the machine itself, the wire going into the electric socket, the water hose going into the faucet and the hose from the machine to the wand. anyhoo, a couple of times i accidently moved the wand over my toes and over the wand hose.

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:11 am 137

i know the feeling. i recently put in a whole bunch of new plants in one of the front flowerbeds and i’m out there at least 5 times a day checking on them and admiring them. i go out late at night and look at them too!

dmac | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:11 am 138

adie 128–thanks. yep, i think they died or something. last year they nested a few trees away, but i couldn’t see them as well as this time.

only heard one squawking yesterday morning. it woke me up. really loud.

just gotta remember it’s nature, and that’s a part of it. oh well. my sadness i guess was of the expectation kind, where sadness does lay most of the time. i’ll just keep in mind the things i learned watching them while they were here.

take care pups.

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:11 am 139
In response to msmolly @ 125

IANAL, but you do need to make sure that you agree upfront with your contractor that you will pay in cash upon final walk through and approval of work. The document you’ll want them to sign is a waiver of lien — unless they are willing to issue you a bill of sale marked paid in full.

We are considering some wiring work in the basement for my office and adding a bathroom as well, will be doing the same thing. Apparently most of the good electrical contractors are still doing well, the bad ones have no work; let that also be an indicator to you. You should get references and check them, and your contractor should be moderately busy, not desperate.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:12 am 140

I certainly will do so. I have great respect for the guy. He’s tough, savvy, and very energetic, as well as solidly working tirelessly for the public good, rather than for his own ego, in my experience. His wife is of the same mind, so they make quite a pair.

I suspect, though, that he’s often under intense pressure because of his outspokenness and drive. He might therefore not jump out ahead of the action just all of the time. I’m sure he has plenty he still wants to work on, and knows full well what he has to do to be re-elected. He seems to be widely respected in OH for good reason, imo.

He’s even been known to write a personal congrats to someone who wrote a letter to the editor that he particularly appreciated, from time to time. Both my honey and I have rec’d same, and they’re not the usual canned stuff one encounters from a pol. Yet we’ve never even met him personally.

Interesting guy. I think you’d like him. Reminds me of Obama in a number of ways.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:16 am 141

I have a bookshelf from Ikea to put together today, but I cannot seem to get my rear end in gear enough to do it. It’s one of those things where you know you’ll feel better if you get it done, but the doing of it is a tough sell when inertia has you in its grip. *g* Just a few more sips of coffee, I suppose…

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:16 am 142
In response to greenwarrior @ 136

Oh, honey! Yikes. I think I do not want to walk a mile in your shoes just now!

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:17 am 143

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Owie.

Leen | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:19 am 144
In response to Elliott @ 5

Love the way impatiens fill in a shady area and stay so beautiful until the first frost in the fall. I often fill in my shady areas that have hosta, trillium, comfrey, motherwort, blue and black cohosh, bleeding heart. The impatiens really pick up the forest green of these woodland plants.

In Hawaii I have seen impatiens three feet tall they never die back there.

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:20 am 145

neither do i!!! i’m padding around the house in my sox with the cutout.

i’ll be in and out for a bit – am putting things away around here – people are due here in 40 minutes.

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:20 am 146

Oh, oh, oh. I am hearing white-throated sparrow songs in my yard this very minute. They must know I’ve pulled up a chair at the lake. And David’s green things are surfacing everywhere. Daffodils, mayflowers up and at ‘em. Tulips ready to go (north side, so slow starters). Most poignant of all, though, are the forget-me-nots. Like that’s going to happen! *g* Does anyone know if it’s possible to transplant those little sweeties into a planter and winter them over? If I leave this house, I really want to take some of them with me.

pmorlan | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:20 am 147

Because it’s the weekend I tried to post something on my blog that wasn’t about torture and war criminals. I live in Louisville, KY so I picked the Kentucky Derby for my subject. But even the Kentucky Derby ended up reminding me of torture and war criminals. LOL

Check it out

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:21 am 148

Off to check on the baby tigers then to lay cardboard out on the patch of grass in the back yard. Future garden plot. Lay out cardboard, water hardily. Kills the grass and adds to the soil.

pmorlan | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:22 am 149

Hey Christy, the tulips in your photo are beautiful. Here in Louisville we have tulips everywhere at this time of year. I love them!

SouthernDragon | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:22 am 150
In response to SouthernDragon @ 148

Be good to yourselves, and all other living things.

Namaste

barbara | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:24 am 151

Who loves ya, pups? I do! Off and running. Have a great weekend!

AZ Matt | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:27 am 152

Good Morning Ya’ll! Overcast and slightly rainy which is good thing because the winds we have had here over the last month really dried out the land. My wife and I are planning to go over to a headstart facility this morning to prepare a garden for the kids. I need about 2 more cups of coffee before doing that.

Elliott | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:27 am 153

easiest way to handle an over-the-winter move of Forget-Me-Nots (and oh how I love them) is to gather the seeds this summer.

Prairie Sunshine | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:27 am 154

Does IKEA ship bookcases or do you have a close-by store?

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:28 am 155

Northeast OH here: The forget-me-nots are TOUGH and resilient here. Depending on where you’re moving, and how, is it possible just to dig up a hunk of them with enough undisturbed soil to keep them contained, just until you arrive at your destination and can sink them in a temporary spot? Based on my experience, make sure to mark the spot well, ahem. Even though they appear to die back in winter, they should pop right back up in spring, and even spread. Ours receive almost no encouragement from us, unfortunately, but they have totally overrun what HAD been the boundaries of their bed. And little hunks I transplanted to the woods edge also came up this spring.

Put them on your list of possibilities. We’re gonna do the same thing during our move. They’re really named well, aren’t they?!

Rayne | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:30 am 156

Off to soccer match. Don’t forget the sunblock, ‘pups!

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:32 am 157
In response to Prairie Sunshine @ 154

A friend drove it back for me from the Pittsburgh store.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:33 am 158
In response to Elliott @ 153

of course. D’OH! Our move is just an hour’s drive, so we’re lucky. But I do have gobs of wildflower seeds set aside to spread at my whim, secretively of course, and into overgrown, non-mowed spots that could used a flutterbye or 6. ;->

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:36 am 159
In response to Rayne @ 156

How old is your soccer cherub? We still harbor fond memories of when our grown kids were little, and all the kidlets looked like fleas, all running to the ball at once, while the coaches playfully pretended to tear their hair out in parental frustration. heh. Fun times.

Adie | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:38 am 160

gotta go help the poor mister, who’s dragging stuff from the basement still, today. Later it’s more shredding, organizing of Goodwill-bound goodies, etc. Thanks much for the respite, pups.

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:40 am 161
In response to SouthernDragon @ 119

Gabby is adorable! Gibby & Gabby need to meet for giblets with lots of filled goblets! LOL

Greenwarrior……*applying ointment to your feet* Ouch! Those power washers are just like a sandblaster. You’re fortunate to still have your toes today! ;-)

greenwarrior | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:45 am 162
In response to KayInMaine @ 161

thanks for the ointment, love. feet feel better already!

RenealaCarte2 | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:50 am 163

We planted tulips for the first time ever last fall because we have a severe deer problem around here. They eat everything but the daffodils and hyacinths.

I was determined to have tulips so this winter I bought some Liquid Fence and some Plantskyyd (it’s from Sweden). Both have garlic and rotten eggs and the Plantskyyd has some kind of blood in it. They really stink when you first apply them but after an hour or so only the deer and rabbits can smell it.

It really works. I was very persistent with the spraying, probably more than I needed to. My tulips look pretty much like the ones in the photo.

I love springtime.

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:52 am 164
In response to RenealaCarte2 @ 163

Have never heard of Plantskyyd, but will definitely keep that one in mind. Thanks mucho!

Christy Hardin Smith | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:54 am 165

btw, gang, I’ve got some preliminary thoughts on a potential SCOTUS candidate up for y’all if you want them.

Leen | Saturday May 2, 2009 07:54 am 166

Christy thanks for “filling your well” we need you and you set a great example of how healthy it is to do just that “refilling our wells”

Great to read what other folks are doing

I have three grown daughters (31,29, 22). Brought them up on 80 acres surrounded by 100’s more that were unoccupied. An assorted array of dogs, cats, chickens, horses and any other homeless creature that they set their sites on. Gardening is such a wonderful family affair. Therapeutic while you are feeding yourselves. As older parents used to say to me when my kids were young ’savor this” it goes by rather quickly.

I am sure folks have seen trellis’s built out of young saplings, vines, twigs. These are so much fun to construct and folks can be so creative making them. This was one of the creative projects that my kids really liked to design and put together.

Garden trellis’s you can build

Now the garden is much smaller but still therapeutic and yummy. Have downsized and am now on 12 acres with 400 hundred woodland acres on the back of the property filled with 150 year old red and white oaks, maples, walnut ,beech, some hickory, buckeye, poplar, lots of caves. You get the picture. Flocks of wild turkey come down into the yard now that all the family dogs have passed on along with packs of deer, too many raccoons, possum, red fox. Several years ago someone in this neck of the woods saw a black bear on the property.

Have spent part of every spring the last 25 years hiking in these Appalachian hills filling my eyes and soul with the beauty of the woodland plants and trees. Spring beauties, bluets, trout lillies, jack in the pulpit, may apple, redbud trees, dogwoods, blue and black cohosh, ginseng, bloodroot (one of my favorites) hepatica, dutchman britches, violets., virginia bluebells. Bring some of these woodland plants into my yard and give them extra nourishment to excentuate their beauty. Tears coming down when I even think of the gifts and bounty we have been given on this planet of ours! Such a gift!

And yet how we humans seem to fuck it up with our greed, fighting and lack of compassion. Oy vey

Bloodroot

Very much into the medicinal uses of plants . Much research now going on into the bloodroot and the treatment of cancer

demi | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:00 am 167

Good morning puppies. Slept in until 7 and have been reading all of the comments.
I too like to replenish by focusing on the important things: the people in my life.
Last weekend, while we were camping I spent a lot of time just yakking with my boy. He told me that they are reading Romeo and Juliet in English class. I whipped into my Two houses, both alike in dignity speech. He was amazed that I remembered it. Ha! We talked about what the Prince was telling the people and he wondered what it would sound like if Sean Connery were reading it. And, then, he proceeded to render an incredible performance. I’ve had him Do It for me several times this week. It just makes me feel great. Knowing that I’m living with such a wonderful kid just makes my day.

RevBev | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:05 am 168

Of course we do…if the spirit moves me, I’ll start calling the Cornyn office again. ;))

Leen | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:10 am 169
In response to Adie @ 106

Have called Sherrod’s office three times (with Christy nudging us) on the Dawn Johnson issue. No solid answer yet.

Sherrod is a totally accessible real kind of person. Although I have not always liked some of his answers to my questions having to do with accountability. I spent the evening in Columbus with the Democratic crowd at one of the fancy hotels downtown the night of the election. I had noticed this dapper older (89) gent at the event and I wanted to hear his story so I asked. He had been so damn excited when it was announced on the huge screens that Obama had taken Ohio (I get chills when I think of everyone’s faces). This guy (wish I remembered his name) was filled with glee. Found out he was a retired art professor (still doing his own art and shows) a life long Dem and we figured may be the oldest person at this event. I went up to Sherrod and Strickland (who I have literally put in hundreds maybe over a thousand hours in for) and asked if they could come spend some time with this older gent. They both came over at different times and really gave this life long Dem the attention and thanks that he deserved. The local news outlets ended up doing a story on the retired art professor

Brown and Strickland are the real deals! Let’s keep pushing Brown to do the right thing. A yes on Dawn Johnson

KayInMaine | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:10 am 170
In response to greenwarrior @ 162

Excellent! ;-)

Leen | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:16 am 171
In response to greenwarrior @ 133

Yes girl pee works. Also cayenne pepper mixed with water in a spray bottle, sprayed on your garden. Hair, (human, dogs) wrapped in small pieces of nylon or cotton cloth tied to stakes in your garden.

I went so far years ago and started going up to get the lions (and other cats) shit at the Columbus Zoo. Now that really keeps the deer away

Sometimes it is worth it to just build the fence.

joelmael | Saturday May 2, 2009 08:29 am 172

Mainstream media fails us yet again. Sorry too late today perhaps . If you have missed the announcement, there is always next year, May 2 is world naked gardening day.

Leen | Saturday May 2, 2009 09:28 am 173
In response to joelmael @ 172

funny

Lindy | Saturday May 2, 2009 10:39 am 174
In response to KayInMaine @ 63

I don’t do manicure. I prefer a more spontaneous look *grin*

joelmael | Saturday May 2, 2009 11:00 am 175
In response to msmolly @ 64

You can be very creative with concrete and it’s dirt cheap. Fun to experiment, say a bench or table outside. Tells the world you’re not stuck on the beaten path.

Lots of ways to stain and finish. And if you don’t like it take the hammer to it and do it again. I haven’t looked yet but I ‘ll bet there is a website just for concrete countertops, maybe even a yahoo group. Or a 12 step support for those who can’t stop with the concreting