Kmiec Calls Out “Rank Politics” Against Dawn Johnsen’s OLC Nod

During a PFAW/AFJ/NWLC/NARAL-sponsored press call yesterday, Douglas Kmiec had the following to say:

Dawn and I are people who come from different points on the policy spectrum. But one of the things that I’ve long admired about her is her independence of mind.

…when she has been performing her job as an advocate, or a lawyer or a a counselor for the United States, in each case she has performed those functions with a level of, as Walter [Delinger] said, care and precision. But, most importantly for the Office of Legal Counsel: objectivity. This is what was missing in the torture memo context. And this is what Dawn Johnsen so eloquently and appropriately challenged.

But, I thought Sen. Cornyn said she wasn’t "serious" enough to hold the job.  Kmiec smacks that head on:

Dawn Johnsen, more than almost any other academic lawyer in the country, has long been a student of executive power and constitutional structure, and the role of the Office of Legal Counsel. And, by virtue of that, has given through the American Bar Association some very sound guidance for the operations of that office.

I think we would be hard pressed to identify any other comparable appointee for a Justice post who would be as well suited. So I find the objections to Professor Johnsen to be quite incredible.

And, frankly just simply aimed, as so many of these things are aimed, at producing a defeat on a partisan basis rather than an evaluation on a merit basis or consideration.

Kmiec isn’t exactly Mr. Liberal guy. This is a man who served as OLC chief during both the Reagan and George H.W. Bush presidencies, and who teaches at Pepperdine University with a clearly conservative ideological bent in his legal writings.

But Kmiec also knows Dawn Johnsen and her work well, has taken the time to read through her prior OLC writings to get a feel for her "seriousness."  Kmiec is standing up to clearly oppose what he calls the "rank politics" behind those objecting to Dawn Johnsen at OLC.

Please call your Senators and tell them to vote FOR cloture and FOR Dawn Johnsen for OLC.

Also, take a moment to call Harry Reid’s office — (202) 224-3542 — and tell him to schedule a vote.

The entire call was an excellent back and forth — not just on Dawn Johnsen, but on rule of law questions about which a lot of lawyers around the country are worried. PFAW, who helped set up the call, has made the entire call available as an mp3. It’s well worth a listen.

More from WaPo, Washington Independent, and Blog of Legal Times.

118 Responses to "Kmiec Calls Out “Rank Politics” Against Dawn Johnsen’s OLC Nod"
Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:03 am 1

Good morning Redd. Great post!

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:04 am 2
In response to Adie @ 1

Morning — thanks. There’s a lot more from the call that I’ll try to cover in a bit.

Sat outside The Peanut’s school on my Treo doing this call for over an hour yesterday. Aiiiyeeee, my ear was sore by the end. *g* But it was worth it for the back and forth on this.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:04 am 3

Love the pic.

Thanks for the heads up. Congressional wah is heqq, sigh.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:05 am 4

Meant to mention above that Harold Koh has his confirmation hearing this afternoon beginning at 2:15 pm ET. Thought folks would want a heads up.

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:05 am 5

Unless it is rank political partisanship it isn’t “serious” in Cornyn’s world.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:06 am 6

Please call your Senators Senator and tell them her to vote FOR cloture and FOR Dawn Johnsen for OLC.

Fixed it for you, Christy. (sigh, whine, yawn, scratch, howl.)

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:07 am 7

Thank you for your service, great and glorious warrior-lady. No snark. ;->

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:10 am 8

Heard that 64% of the people in MN now share your frustration.

cbl2 | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:10 am 9

Good Morning Christy and Firedogs,

Chris Hays hit the firebreathing hard on KO last night

jayt | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:10 am 10

re: the picture up top:

I’ve had mornings like that.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:11 am 11
In response to jayt @ 10

Haven’t we all? *g*

alank | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:13 am 12

I don’t want to endorse anyone named Dawn.

In addition to the serious faults of Kmiec, it’s the sound goats make when something gets stuck in their throats.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:14 am 13

Morning Christy & Adie
Heh, but the location is perfect for the movie version of your life story. It adds poignancy to your battle for justice. Making the world safer for future generations. It goes along with feather-boa and princess tiara blogging.

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:14 am 14

I felt like that yesterday when I returned from OK to find 8″ of freshly fallen snow.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:14 am 15

Only 28 percent consider last week’s appeal by Coleman to the Minnesota Supreme Court “appropriate.”

Large majorities of those polled said they would oppose any further appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Should Coleman win at the state Supreme Court, 57 percent of respondents said Franken should concede. And 73 percent believe Coleman should give up if he loses at the state’s highest court.

From StarTribune article. Representation without taxation without representation, or something.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:15 am 16

Hey Barbara!

Howl? heh. you’re up & at ‘em faster than I. Still stiff from yesterday. 2 full-Corolla (bless that elderly lil’ car!) trips to the recycle center; and helped a kindly strong fella get 70+ cinderblocks outta our basement the day before.

Today I think it’d be wise if I just pester pols & shred paper, mebbe sitting on a cushion. ooogh.

Still, it’s easier to move 70 cinder blocks than Sen. Voinovichy, sigh. I’ll try. Honest. What a useless waste of a perfectly good Senate seat! Ugh!

JimWhite | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:17 am 17

Yes, the politics of blocking Johnsen is rank, indeed. Thanks for staying on this one, Christy. I still can’t get over my call to Cornyn’s office where I was told she was too partisan. Talk about projection…

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:17 am 18

heh.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:17 am 19
In response to alank @ 12

I have to say that I so rarely agree with Kmiec, that it was like being on a call to Bizarro World yesterday to listen to him praising Dawn Johnsen’s integrity and legal acumen.

But the contrast between his reasoning and so many of the screechers on the Right on this was so startling, I needed to get the quotes up and out this morning.

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:18 am 20

Don’t miss Matt Taibbi in the Stone:

Following the Republican Party of late has been a movingly depressing experience, sort of like watching Old Yeller die — if Old Yeller were a worm-infested feral bitch who spent the past eight years biting children at bus stops and shitting in neighborhood swimming pools. As a useful force in American politics, the Republicans have been dead for a while now. But in the seven months since Sarah Palin’s nomination, they have taken on an intriguing new role: providing much-needed comic relief during dark times, serving as the unofficial rodeo clowns of the Financial Crisis Era.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:19 am 21
In response to JimWhite @ 17

Pot, meet kettle.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:19 am 22

Nothing like taking notes by balancing your legal pad on your steering wheel, and hoping the call ends before the kiddos get out for the day. Ran up to Starbucks and got a mocha before the call so I’d have something to sip while I was waiting for it to start. Almost dumped the whole thing in my lap halfway through the call because the top came loose.

If there were a movie of my life, it would almost certainly be a comedy. *G*

Prairie Sunshine | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:19 am 23

Why are Senate Repukes led by a Senator from a secessionist-minded state? Has Senator Cornyn renounced the repeated statements of his state’s Governor for secession? Has he been asked if threats of secession are extortion? Or treason?

As long as the media want to cover the bullpucky slathered in Republican spin, why don’t they ask him these questions….

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:20 am 24
In response to JimWhite @ 17

Anyone who doesn’t share Cornyn’s views dogma is partisan in his world.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:20 am 25
In response to alank @ 12

u know that’s cud don’t ya? leave the goat be. she’s smarter than 3/4 of Congresscritters and worlds more dependable.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:21 am 26
In response to Adie @ 16

Be careful! Pestering pols is actually heavy lifting!

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:22 am 27
In response to JimWhite @ 17

My favorite with Cornyn thus far has been his deliberate obtuseness on the legal grounds for declaration of war so he can try and make political hay out of Dawn’s answer that we are not technically at war. Because legally, we aren’t.

But Cornyn’s clearly banked all his chips on the “people are stupid” line and going for broke. Wouldn’t you think people would get tired of being insulted by the likes of these people just flat out lying factually and using their lies to inflame false passions? And yet…

tjbs | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:23 am 28

Do I hafta call arlin again?

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:24 am 29

Demi gal! How you doing today?! We lost our heatwave and sunshine here, and it’s supposed to rain. But yesterday on one of our trips to the recycle center, we followed a ranger’s hint and checked out the 1st Bald Eagle nest ever reported for Medina County. Not only was the nest there, but we watched dad bring a nice fat fish in for mom to feed downy babes! Whoot!

WarOnWarOff | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:24 am 30
In response to JimWhite @ 17

“Partisan” and “unserious” are now in competition for “I don’t believe in the rule of law but would never admit it” shibboleth sweepstakes!

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:24 am 31
In response to tjbs @ 28

Please do — and feel free to say the words “Pat Toomey” and “pandering to the most rabid elements of your base is a sure way to lose the general election in Pennsylvania” if you like. *g*

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:25 am 32

Yes ma’am. Thankee kindly for the warning.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:26 am 33

Barbara, My, are you jealous now? Of course, here in TX we are not sure to have 2 either, dontcha know. Do you folks up there now believe that Franken will be safely in?

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:27 am 34

You are on fire indeed today, young lady! *g*

NorskeFlamethrower | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:28 am 35

AND THE KILLIN’ GOEZ ON AND ON AND…

Citizen Hardin Smith and the Firepup Freedom Fighters:

There would be no candidates spots waiting for confirmation if there were a sentient human as majority leader in the Senate…this is a problem that will not go away without coordinated action between the White House and senior Democrats and with Rahm Tiny Dancer pullin’ the political strings in the White House,that problem threatens the entire recovery program. Talk about the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, my God what is Obama thinkin’??!!

KEEP THE FAITH AND PASS THE AMMUNITION, THIS IS GETTIN WAY BEYOND POLITICS!!

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:30 am 36

Oh RevBev! Franken HAS to be in! I’ve given away my pitchfork. All I have left is 4 long weenie-roasting forks. Oh! Wait. (testing razor-sharp prongs) Never mind.

Never disrespect a gray-haired lady holding a sharp weenie fork. *g*

JimWhite | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:32 am 37

So if we listen carefully to the mp3, is there a stifled “oh crap!” we can attribute to you, or were you mercifully muted? *g*

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:32 am 38

Guardedly optimistic. Where Republics are concerned, what should happen vs. what will happen are not necessarily the same thing. But hard to see any outcome other than Franken safely grazing in the Senate. And Coleman? Personally, I’d like to see him do some time in the stocks, say at the Dem HQ in St. Paul.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:33 am 39
In response to Adie @ 29

Sounds like a nice reward for the hard work you two were doing. I like it when that happens.
I’m doing well. We lost our nice sunny weather too. I might have to bake another loaf of bread and pot of soup today. Yesterday’s was gone a half hour after the males came home.
I added olive oil and italian spices to the dough. Nummy.

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:33 am 40
In response to Adie @ 36

A cattle prod works good too.

alank | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:33 am 41

I just can’t believe it’s that difficult to find candidates who are foursquare against torture.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:33 am 42
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 35

I gather you don’t think napping in the corner is the equivalent of playing poker any more than I do, sir. If it’s in the Senate and it’s not moving, poke it. Would you like to borrow a weenie-fork? I have extras. ;->

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:34 am 43
In response to Adie @ 36

Or, hair spray Or a big purse.

jayt | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:34 am 44
In response to Adie @ 36

Never disrespect a gray-haired lady holding a sharp weenie fork.

Weenie fork?

I’m outta here….

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:35 am 45

There are no careless Starbucks employees, only careless mocha drinkers.

Stay safe dear lady.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:36 am 46

In the stocks….he may not get great dental care for those very huge pearlies…Bovine teeth? Not so great, but I bet they cost alot.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:38 am 47

omg. I’m channeling Gilda Radnor, rest her soul. the routines with Tim Conway and the purse. *sniffle*

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:40 am 48

not subtle enough for a lady of my refinement, but thankee kindly for the offer.

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:41 am 49
In response to Adie @ 47

Radner

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:41 am 50
In response to jayt @ 44

Wait! Wait! I’m highly selective, and my aim is quite exceptional. You have nothing to fear.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:42 am 51

They did cost a lot and were the topic of much discussion when he transformed himself from a snaggle-pussed bottom feeder to a dentally-enhanced . . . ummm . . . bottom feeder. Check it out here.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:42 am 52
In response to JimWhite @ 37

LOL — I was muted at that point, thank god. And I think it was an “Ow! FUCK ME!”

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:43 am 53

OT: I went last night to an “indie” film on immigration, specifically about a terrible detention center near Austin. Part of the background included film/remarks from the Boy Idiot King W….talk about things to be grateful for. We do not have to see or listen to him very often and he is not my Pres. Praise be to God, the voters, the promise of the future. An occasional peek will bring it all back with nausea….be careful.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:43 am 54
In response to Raven @ 49

Thank you. I knew it was wrong as soon as I clicked submit. No edit. dang.

I miss that marvelous gal, even if my spelling isn’t up to snuff.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:43 am 55

(((spew two for the day))) For real??

foothillsmike | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:45 am 56

Is that one of the benefits of the government health care plan?

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:46 am 57

Yeah, I spilled hot coffee all over my hand during the call. But I was on mute, so the only person who heard it was me. *g*

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:47 am 58

For everyone else: There should be a warning.

I have a lovely daughter who hates it when I comment on looks….so I often feel guilty. Funny, though, ’cause she would likely join in here ;), I think. The new ones look like the Berlin wall, I’d say

NorskeFlamethrower | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:49 am 59
In response to Raven @ 49

Citizen Raven:

Where would we be without Brother Raven Editor-in-Chief…how’s the dog?

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:49 am 60

That’s the part that makes it a comedy. That, and when you’re on a conference call with some higher up official types and you’re running to the kitchen to keep something from burning and you slip on a crayon or lego and go flying headfirst into the dog’s water bowl. And, then you say into the phone, oh, nothing, one of my legal assistants just dropped a huge brief on my desk. *g*

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:51 am 61

Lemme get this straight. You’re parked outside the kiddyschool, swearing a blue streak, babbling on the phone and wasting a perfectly good mocha all over your alleged notes.

You’re lucky you’re not more famous than you be. Nevertheless, beware the potential paparazzi peril! I mean, we DO have our standards to uphold as, ahem … dfh bloggers?! *g*

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:52 am 62

What’s different about Norm is that his makeover is illustrative of his character. I cannot imagine what it (might) be costing him to be a national buffoon. (Hey, great name for a new magazine!) RNC or others must have promised to put him out to stud when this is over, equine toofs and all.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:52 am 63

Someday, I’ll have to compile a list of those for you guys. Like the time I was on the phone with a couple of members of Congress and turned around to find The Peanut smearing yogurt on our dachshund. (She was small then.) Or once when she picked up the phone extension while I was on a call with some Senate staffers and a Senator and asked when they’d be done talking with her momma because she wanted a snack.

The list is endless. *g* Mercifully, most people are very nice about it. But it does add some levity.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:52 am 64
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 59

Brother Raven Editor in Chief AND FDL Background Music Master.

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:53 am 65
In response to Adie @ 54

never mind

oldoilfieldhand | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:55 am 66

Christy,
God takes care of children, the feeble minded and redheads as a matter of daily routine. Unfortunately, everyone else has to fend for themselves.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:56 am 67

My home-based writing/editing biz is/was called B.J. Communications (barbara joan; classy, eh?) Somewhere along the line, it occurred to me a more apt name for it is barbara’s jammies. It amuses me. I’m easy.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:56 am 68

You’re on….Maybe he can be the toof Fairy

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:57 am 69

Ah! You’re good.

Sign me: “been there”

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:57 am 70
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 59

She’s laying here with her E-collar on. One week checkup reveals “perfect” so far. The only hitch is that the doggie eye doc is Blue Dog John Barrow’s x! Better than current I guess.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:58 am 71
In response to Raven @ 70

lying here *g*

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:58 am 72
In response to Raven @ 70

And the killer professor is still on the lam, got UGA cops carrying CAR-15’s on campus!

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:59 am 73

So I’ll have some more on this coming up shortly if I can finish double-checking my transcription. And, if I get calls back, I may have something else later on…

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 06:59 am 74

When my sometimes ex-writing partner lived with me, we formed a company so we could go to events. We called it Buck Naked Productions.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:00 am 75

707! and thanks. the earth rights itself on its proper axis, as it were.

cbl2 | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:00 am 76

curses ! still haven’t seen the film yet. I appear with the godless rabble in the large protest scene and if they kept the Christmas Eve candlelight vigil in, I am the fabulous looking gal linked arm and arm with the 3 nuns :D

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:01 am 77

hahahahahahaha! Love it!

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:03 am 78

Redd. I think this thread has come full circle. Don’t forget to pick up the Peanut, dear.

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:03 am 79

I was thinking of Leon Russell’s “laying right here in heaven” *g*

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:04 am 80
In response to Raven @ 79

Or, Lay, Lady, Lay…

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:06 am 81
In response to Raven @ 79

You know so much about music, poetry, literature. You run very deep. Just sayin’.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:06 am 82

stud? oh please no more. ooogh. one’s more than enough.

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:07 am 83

Grammatically incorrect, but beats the snot out of “lie, lady, lie,” unless it’s a song about Harriet Meiers.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:08 am 84

but always one eye on the exit.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:09 am 85

What a nice and, may I say brilliant, group we have here. And, speaking of that, katymine, if you’re reading, I hope we are making you smile today.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:10 am 86

Indeed.

(((((Katymine)))))

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:11 am 87

Good for you. There is another showing on Sunday at Pres. church on Wells Branch + I think that the film’s website has a way to view it (not sure) Are you involved in other immigration stuff? I have really been trying to get more information, etc. Thanks, BL

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:11 am 88

it’s called art

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:13 am 89
In response to Raven @ 88

More like soul than art. Grammar doesn’t matter either place.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:14 am 90

Miers
;->

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:16 am 91
In response to Adie @ 90

Oh, funny! Even the mighty have fallen! *g*

barbara | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:17 am 92

glass house, meet stone

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:18 am 93

but it’s just art. so never mind. *g*

greenwarrior | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:20 am 94

Just coming in here and I haven’t read the comments so please excuse me if you’ve already answered this. I plan to mention Kmiec when I call my senators and I’d like to know how to pronounce his name.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:20 am 95

Or jazz.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:21 am 96

Actually, to be perfectly correct:

Confucious is reputed to have said,

“Individuals who perforce are constrained to be domiciled in vitreous structures of patent frangibility should of no account employ petrous formations as projectiles.”

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:23 am 97
In response to Adie @ 96

Huh, you made that up! ;)

lysias | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:23 am 98

Kmiec also opposed the torture (and supported Obama last year, in part for that reason.) That’s enough to make him an unsound “liberal” for the wingnuts.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:23 am 99
In response to greenwarrior @ 94

You say kmee-eck and I say kmii-eck…Oh, we’re being silly and you’re here for business. Sorry.
Actually, Christy is working on another piece, but she’ll be able to tell you.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:26 am 100
In response to greenwarrior @ 94

actually any way you like would suit, but i believe there’s a suggestion upthread at #12 courtesy of alank.

demi | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:27 am 101

Not bad for a biologist, huh?
And,
I found a 4-lb bag of Kroger brand epsom salt yesterday for $2.78. Just don’t want you to pay too much.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:32 am 102

Actually, no. I copied it. As I was shredding old papers a couple of days ago, a slip of paper fluttered out of the pile. Ain’t that rich?!

Right next to it was the following:

Hail the prudent avis, who matutinally deserts the coziness of his abode, for he shall ensnare the vermiculate creature.

it’s a bit sexist for my taste in literature, but i copied as i found it.

Now you have a glimmer of knowledge concerning some of the reasons why we never get anything done around here. Going through old papers is sometimes painful, often a hoot. ;->

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:35 am 103
In response to Adie @ 100

that was supposed to refer to #12 upthread. the toobz ate the comment. sorry.

Raven | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:35 am 104

art and soul
I fell in love with you. . .

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:37 am 105
In response to Raven @ 104

nice.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:44 am 106

Official Notice:

I am now accepting bids for someone to call Sen. Jorge Voinovich for me.

I find myself indisposed/unable/unwilling/devoid of proper language as befitting the task.

Therefore, I find it necessary and prudent to outsource the task due to mental frailty and absence of proper skills adequate to the successful completion of my assignment.

Transl: The dog ate my homework.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:46 am 107

Confession: I don’t have a dog.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:47 am 108
In response to Adie @ 102

I have been sooo engaged. It is an amazing journey. I have said here that both my mother and sister (quite unexpectedly) died 2 + years ago. I then added a variety of things not really mine. It is as if the gloom is beginning to lift. I was very close to my mother. But the going thru seems to be opening the door to the new…with some freshness, hope, and almost, energy. So yes….all that certainly does take alot of time and mental investment. So, here we all are.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:50 am 109

(((((RevBev)))))

Good Friend. ;->

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday April 28, 2009 07:56 am 110
In response to greenwarrior @ 94

He pronounces it Ke-meck — short “e” on both syllables, I believe.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:00 am 111
In response to Adie @ 109

Thanks….blowing a kiss, if you will. That also was about the time I was introduced to these very interesting folks.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:02 am 112

Birders: pronounced just like the Least Flycatcher’s “song”. ;->

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:04 am 113

This is an amazing, very supportive community. Meeting up here basically saved my sanity, more or less, in layman’s terms.

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:07 am 114

I called Sen Reid’s office. The young woman spoke with did not know squat…”because of the way the Senate works, we do not know when will be the vote”….no we do not know if the Senator is working on it…..Those are your tax dollars at work.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:13 am 115

I wish Reid would resign/retire. He seems, on the surface, to be a decent guy, but he’s a huge disappointment as a Senator, much less in leadership. If he had a spine, and indulged in “rope-a-dope” defensive tactics less…. If he ACTED like a leader, I think Congress and Obama would all accomplish more. He seems depressed, and IS depressing in what passes for action in his playbook. sigh.

Thanks for trying.

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:22 am 116

I must go get something done around here. It looks as if a cyclone went thru our house. We got a lot done in the last few days but….

Hey! Neatly stacked boxes are displacing the clutter, which is slowly but surely disappearing. I can see the floor and the tabletops, AND the bottom of the huge chest freezer!

Our warblers are returning, and the eagles are feeding babies just southwest of us. The bird symphony in our yard and woods is a glory to behold.

It is a good day today. One step at a time. Look back and savor some memories. Work for the future. ;->

RevBev | Tuesday April 28, 2009 05:16 pm 117
In response to Adie @ 116

Hey, I have been thnking about the cyclone since it went through here as well. Then it amazes that after a little mending of its damage, it seems to zip back through again….Does that happen to you? We just have to a 2-step 12 step sort of group to see small progress. I’m out very early in the morning, but enjoy the coffee and cleared space if I miss you. B

Adie | Tuesday April 28, 2009 08:03 pm 118

Hi. Just noticed your note. Short answer: yes, regularly, in re the cyclone. No, not an early riser. I seem perpetually to be trying to catch up on sleep after the insanely early rising times in high school and college, even though I’m decades beyond all that now.

As a “matured” hyperactive kid, I’ve created cyclones wherever I go. My custom is to accomplish filing by piling. Normal adults find this habit most unsettling because it’s never particularly neat, but it is moderately clean, and I pretty much know where everything is. My mom seemed to have a lot of the same genes, but it turned her into a compulsive neatnick easily rivaling MStewart in frenetic desperation to control all around her, tendencies I seem to have been trying to escape my whole life, with mixed results. I’d rather spend quality smooch and appreciation time w/ family instead of having a spotless living room 24/7.

But now we just MUST clear out as much as possible, so potential buyers of this extremely pleasant, modest home will look as enticing as possible to every person who walks through the door. sigh. And yet, although the house is attractive, solid, bright and cheery with gobs of windows (fauncy Anderson doublepanes by gum), our main interests have always been outside.

The deliberately semi-wild fruiting and nectaring garden edges are abuzz with butterflies in summer, and birds year-round. Right now springtime prompts same to provide a symphony hard to match in beauty of sounds and sights, as many of the wild ones are quite tame and come right up to the windows., follow us as we mow and garden, and answer our inept imitations of their calls.

We host (including nesting) the biggest and speediest hawks and owls, as well as myriads of warblers, orioles, grosbeaks, and the cocky little chickadees, titmice and nuthatches. Shortly the hummingbirds will arrive. and hover glaring at me through the kitchen window until their favorite feeders are filled and operational.

How does one sell such a property, given the slick-sales pitch routines of pro realtors frantic for quick turnover? We’re letting the pro do her thing, but also spreading word among nature enthusiasts and others in the area. No matter who gets it, a conservation easement protects the 6 acres of woods behind the house from being split and crammed with condos and the like.

Yes. We’re ready to move. We’re moving TO a wonderful place, not just leaving one, but with a considerable downsizing component built in. The little cottage we’re headed for is right next to a lovely natural pond already hosting busy nesting tree swallows just outside our new porch, and much more. A major-league private college is just down the road within walking distance, offering free auditing of courses, music recitals etc. I hope to start practicing again. Giving up my fiddle was one of my things that proved necessary as I cared for my mom. It’s time to turn back the clock a little and see if I can still find my way around the instrument.

Please stay in touch. ;->