The Point Where Wingnut Heads Explode?

Throughout the history of civilization, profound questions have tested scholars, philosophers and citizens through the ages. None more perplexing than this: where is that next exact moment where wingnut heads explode?

They are volatile little people. It could be anything, really, that sends them, once again, down the shrieking path.

Let’s go to the transcript from yesterday’s press briefing at the Obama White House to peek at a strong contender:

MR. GIBBS: …The President campaigned on a promise to ensure that money would get into people’s pockets that had seen their wages decline over the past few years. And he made good on that promise through the recovery plan, and believes that will have a stimulative effect on the economy.

The President has also talked about in some form or another letting the tax cuts for the top 1 or so percent either be repealed or expire, because the President believes that after many years of having a tax code that favored the few over the many, that a combination of both the recovery plan and what may or may not be in the budget for future years begins to right the tables a bit on who this tax code is written for and the people that deserve to be part of the benefit now.

Note how Gibbs successfully lays out the sort of reverse socialism folks in the top 1% in this country have gotten the last few years. How he succinctly makes plain that "screw you, I got mine" is not a viable long-term strategy for national fiscal health.

Cue the shrieks in 5…4…3…

The devil is absolutely in the details on every single one of these plans. No question.

Read through the whole of the Gibbs presser, you’ll find far too many open questions — including a colloquy with Helen Thomas on social security "reforms." If you are wondering, this particular issue? Not strategically inspiring.

But this back and forth with Tapper, who clearly still believes in Market Gods and other bygone Wallet Makes Right mythos? And the succinct "suck it up and stop asking for yacht club dues handouts" response from Gibbs?

Something to savor. If only for a moment.

Quite the turnaround from Princess Milquetoast’s question avoidance syndrome. Thank gawd.

142 Responses to "The Point Where Wingnut Heads Explode?"
Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 05:58 am 1

ROFLMAO

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:01 am 2
In response to Elliott @ 1

This picture made me laugh out loud. Glad you enjoyed it. *G*

BooRadley | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:06 am 3

Thanks Christy.

digg is open

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:08 am 4

Is that hat available for purchase? I have a son whose birthday is in June.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:08 am 5

Now my head is going to explode. Q for next half hour is: Should Obama get a new helicopter.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:11 am 6

It’s actually some sort of hat for Detroit RedWings fans, I think, based on the information at the picture link. I laughed my ass off when I found this pix last night. *G*

GregB | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:12 am 7

I am still marvelling at McCain’s petty attempt to stick one up Obama’s hind quarter’s with that one.

I have also concluded that the John McCain of 2000 was a more effectively executed Joe the Plumber. A total fantasy of an image that was marketed by the beltway media.

-G

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:12 am 8

Oh, good lord. Because there’s nothing else going on in the world today, then? *g*

Badwater | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:15 am 9

Republics have spent so many years mindlessly reciting their dogma that they are unable to adapt to current realities. The shrieks are a result of severe cognitive dissonance.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:15 am 10

Is it freezing ass cold everywhere else this morning, too? I’m not certain my feet are ever going to thaw out — made the mistake of just throwing on some loafers and no socks to drive The Peanut over to school this morning. Big mistake when your car is cold.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:15 am 11

Right. Nothing more important to discuss. Geez.

You might enjoy my liveblogging on last thread of a cnbc interview with Sen. Corkhead & Rep. Maloney (mine). She pinned him with not a hair out of place. It was a pleasure to watch.

Pade | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:15 am 12

Plus he had nothing to do with the order in the first place.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:15 am 13
In response to Badwater @ 9

That and their utter conviction that rich people shouldn’t ever have to pay any taxes because we all owe them for being rich.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:16 am 14

20 degrees here. But at least yesterday’s wind has died down. I’m ready for spring.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:17 am 15

Good on her — sorry I missed that! Would have loved to watch Corker squirm, little disingenuous worm that he is.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:17 am 16

sorry tobe OT but i must gloat after surviving a nasty bout of the flu.
Guess who posted the same meme last week?

B Of A Heiress Blasts Bank Leaders As ‘Idiots’
Reporting
Hank Plante

The granddaughter of the man who founded Bank of America in San Francisco in the early 1900s called the bank’s current condition “totally repulsive” and blasted the bank’s management for being “idiots.”

The harsh criticism from Virginia Hammerness, the heiress to A.P. Giannini’s family fortune and a significant stockholder in the bank he launched, came during an interview Monday with CBS 5.

She reflected on how her grandfather founded B of A as the Bank of Italy in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood in 1904 as a reaction to the fact that the big eastern banks wouldn’t lend to middle class immigrants like Italians.

Hammerness was outspoken about what has happened to the bank that is her family’s legacy, saying she had little doubt that Giannini was “rolling over in his grave.

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:17 am 17
In response to GregB @ 7

considering it was the Bush administration that contracted for the helicopters, and also that it was purportedly a payback for the niger forgery — McCain was extra an idiot for picking that particular project to attempt to embarrass Obama with

jayt | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:17 am 18

Should Obama get a new helicopter.

only if it’s a hybrid.

That last, coal-burning model, was a tad bit embarrassing…

jonerik | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:18 am 19

I think we’ve been watching some wingnut heads exploding now for the last four weeks as reality begins to settle in. I’m not sure I’m up for seeing much more of it.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:19 am 20
In response to GregB @ 7

The really scary part is McCain’s Peter Lorre voice, sounding kinda calm and rational whilst mouthing nastiness.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:19 am 21

cnbc hoping that Bernanke will give Wall St another shot in the arm with today’s HH testimony. But the advance leaks show he’ll do exactly the opposite. “Jobless” recovery is the line. Of course, that can’t possibly happen. This is no longer 1993 or 2001, so he’s forecasting the impossible.

Badwater | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:19 am 22
In response to Elliott @ 17

McCain didn’t manage to work in the Bush origins for the helicopters, did he?

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:19 am 23

hristy Hardin Smith February 24th, 2009 at 6:15 am
In response to Badwater @ 9 (show text)

==============
you forgot donning the braid and cow towing for crumbs

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:20 am 24
In response to jayt @ 18

LOL.

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:20 am 25

please please please can we have some Spring — I’m begging!!
this cold snap is aggravating the frostbite -which seemed to mending quite well.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:21 am 26
In response to jayt @ 18

Still too much energy required. I was thinking of the kind where you wind the propeller clockwise until it won’t go any further, and when you let go, it spins counter-clockwise. Still working out details of what happens when it totally unwinds.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:24 am 27
In response to Elliott @ 25

I wish. Even the gardening books aren’t working their magic for me at this point. I just want to be able to go outside for more than a couple of minutes without getting drenched or freezing my ass off. That few days of teaser warmth that we got a couple of weeks ago wasn’t nearly long enough. *g*

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:24 am 28

How come I was unaware of the helicopter flap until yesterday? Where have I been all my life?

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:25 am 29

barbara, here ya go *s*

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:26 am 30

gee, it’s so hard to see the links here.
my ONLY complaint about the CHS dock.

ironranger | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:27 am 31

Christy, you need warming slippers. I’m using mine right now (-5 this am). Herbal slipper thingies warmed up in the microwave, stick your feet in them & go aahh. Heaven!

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:28 am 32
In response to Elliott @ 29

big laughter here. thanks!!!

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:28 am 33
In response to Elliott @ 29

Who on TV yesterday who did the retro, referring to smart folks as propeller-heads?

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:29 am 34
In response to ironranger @ 31

OMG. Minnesota woman covets same. Where’d they come from, please and thanks!

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:30 am 35
In response to ironranger @ 31

Oooooh, those sound lovely!

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:30 am 36

they will TRY TO nickel and dime him to death,,media taking the rubes minds of the falling economy and portraying Obie as a WASTREL…….push back Obie,and Michelle,Sascha,and Malia…your the great American family

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:30 am 37
In response to ironranger @ 31

Here’s the slippers I wear. Bottom is plastic, so can walk outdoors in them. They’re warm.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:31 am 38

Isn’t that what Obama refers to his economics team as?

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:31 am 39

Oh, sorry I didn’t see that.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:31 am 40

If Obama REALLY cares about economizing…

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:31 am 41

G’Morning Christy and Puppies.

That’s gotta be the picture of the year so far. Can’t. Stop. Laughing.

Why didn’t we think of it?!

If you have no issue, make one up.

Then parade around in your hat, for all the fame and glory it shall bring.

dum-dee-dum-dee-dumdumdum

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:33 am 42

Oooh, those look nice and toasty for a walk out to the mailbox and back.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 43

I can’t remember. Maybe.

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 44

OH! And did you see? The newly annointed Prez. had the gall to waste all that money and gas, going to see his sweet little daughter’s basketball game recently. The NERVE! Doesn’t he know we must conserve our precious resources?

[Good on Daddy President!]

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 45

i love you…even if you did make me snort warm sugary coffee up my dry cracked nose

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 46

teh cool do they ave pink…………………..g

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 47

Speaking of which, I’ve ordered some books. Think I’ll check mailbox to see if any have arrived.

foothillsmike | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:34 am 48

I have been following that boondoggle for four years. It has been SOP between the DoD in order to circumvent Nunn-McCurdy, to write contracts then add new specifications every year to allow for delays and jack up the costs. The helicopter deal is mild compared to some of the BS.

GregB | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:35 am 49

It’s something that started pretty recently. But it’s another of the fringiest wingnut concepts that gets gobbled up by abject cement heads like John McCain and pushed into the greater psyche at record speed now.

It used to take a lot longer for fevered and paranoid ramblings to filter down from the ham radio’s of militia’s in Idaho.

Now it goes from Glenn Beck to Matt Drudge to shitheels like Richard Shelby and John McCain to a press conference in a matter of days.

-G

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:35 am 50

Oh, these look like my Haflingers. Only thing these pathetic feet can wear but not warm up to the ankles. Was thinking more along the lines of this.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:35 am 51

So, how are things where everyone else is at the moment? I’ve been hearing rumblings about another local plant potentially closing and I know there have been layoffs aplenty around here lately — statewide, really, in WV. We’re usually a lagging indicator, so for us to be in the thick of things makes me incredibly nervous.

And a sign went up yesterday in the front yard of a house on main street that will be sold at auction. Ouch.

ironranger | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:36 am 52

I definitely need a pair of those slippers.
The feet warmers I am using right now are just for unthawing feet while sitting. There is no way anyone could actually walk in them.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:36 am 53
In response to sadlyyes @ 46

The color buttons underneath indicate white, denim and black. I wouldn’t be caught dead in pink. You’re a real NYer if you stand in front of your closet trying to decide which black outfit to wear.

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:37 am 54

New pick for Commerce Secretary…Demo. likely to be confirmed.

Nice, to be warm day here in Central TX; we are so ready also.

Obama could have included the price of a tragic, optional war in his answer to Mc; I think our President is instinctively nice guy;

Happy Mardi Gras: Looks like good weather in NO as well.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:37 am 55
In response to sadlyyes @ 45

Moisture! It’s a good thing!! *g*

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:38 am 56

you MUST gomore low brow(economy)
got these at DOLLAR GENERAL for 6 big ones

G

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:38 am 57

So many ways that the MIC rips us off. Glad you’re keeping track.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:39 am 58

Acorn (the brand of the ones I linked to) does have some slippers that are a little higher, but nothing like the ones you showed. I can’t wear anything warmer in the house, as my feet get too hot. I slip them on & off as thermal regulators.

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:40 am 59

To Christy 51: We got a big local coverage, seen also on some big media TV, of W going out to visit the local hardware store. Does anyone care? What does it take to escort him out of the cul de sac? So, just alittle news…

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:41 am 60
In response to sadlyyes @ 56

I’ll try to remember those when my current pair wear out in about 5 years. *g*

WarOnWarOff | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:42 am 61

53 degrees here this fine morning, and we’re headed to 80 this afternoon. My tomato seedlings have sprouted on top of my fridge and later they’re going outside for a bit of “hardening off” if it’s not too windy…

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:44 am 62

That sounds lovely. It’s currently a balmy 16 degrees here — its warmed up!

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:44 am 63

Are you in Dallas area?

ironranger | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:45 am 64

Those boots remind me of the time a friend had her annual gyno appointment on one of the coldest days in a Minnesota winter. Her feet were so cold she left her bear hide boots on during the exam….well, maybe that’s a better story for late night.

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:45 am 65

heh.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:46 am 66

and if your heels resemble elepant pads
get this stuff…just sayin

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:47 am 70
In response to sadlyyes @ 68

loverly

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:48 am 71

hahahhahahaahahahahaha touche

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:48 am 72

Austin…we generally stay several degrees warmer than Dallas.

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:50 am 73

did anyone notice? does w know how to scan his own card? or does he have “people” who do that, since they prolly carry the card for him anyway.

he’s gotta be bored. riding that little mt. bike around and around in the basement…

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:50 am 74

Christy, see what happens to your posts when:

(a) you’re funny; and
(b) the pups rev up on caffeine ?

Way better than looking at yesterday’s Dow. *g*

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:50 am 75

Having this temp job thingy, I’m actually out in the world – driving to and from. Seeing more going out of business signs and For Lease signs on empty store fronts. Also, lots more day workers congregated on corners. And, since I’m fund raising for MDA, I hear lots of cranky sob stories from business owners. And, they always tell me how hard things are as if it’s breaking news to me. It’s exhausting to keep my inner dialogue inner. If you know what I mean.

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:50 am 76
In response to ironranger @ 64

My favorite GYno story…when we were much younger a good friend was kept waiting for a very long time in that delicate position. When the cute OB/Gyn arrived, friend said, “I wouldn’t wait this long for M..husbands’ name.” Loved it.

Twain | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:51 am 77

Christy, the post is great but the picture takes the day. I scared the dog half to death laughing. Thanks for a good start to the day.

ironranger | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:52 am 78

Funnier yet was as she had her bearskin booted feet up in the stirrups the male doc said without thinking, “Is that bear fur?” and they both burst out laughing.

Phoenix Woman | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:53 am 79

Jake Tapper is a glibertarian at heart. Which is of course why ABC took him over far better Salonistas like Mollie Dickenson and Murray Waas and Joe Conason.

WarOnWarOff | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:53 am 80

Just got my word that my rent will *not* be going up when I sign the next lease in a month (yay!), and if I sign the 18-month lease, I’ll even get $600 off (or $200 for 12 months). Was worried that too many home foreclosures would mean a renters market, but apparently that’s not the case. Now if I can hold onto my job…

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:53 am 81
In response to ironranger @ 78

ROFLMAO!!!

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:54 am 82

22 here brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:54 am 83

To 59: Reply not working….I do not know if he can scan? does he have the opposable thumb? But the store gave him a shirt so he will have one when he comes to work there ;) I think he has already given it to the Good will. They said he did speak to the current Greeter (job he would have), but that Greeter is not at all worried about being displaced.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:54 am 84

Great news for you — yay!

ironranger | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:55 am 85

Excellent! Your friend sound like fun.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:55 am 86

Adie February 24th, 2009 at 6:50 am
————————-
eheheheheheeehehee

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:56 am 87
In response to ironranger @ 85

Yep..or a loudmouth…She would love being quoted. thanks

perris | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:56 am 88

I don’t even know about the heilicopter flap is there a link to mccain’s thingy and then obamas response thingy?

I can’t find that thread, link for your live blog too please?

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:56 am 89

I hear you. I’ve been planning some extra veggie plants this summer, but I keep contemplating adding a few more..or maybe even a few more…because I have a feeling that family and friends are going to need a little help, too. Somehow it’s transitioned in my mind from just helping us ease the budget a bit to helping half the people I know…because they honestly may need the help.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:56 am 90

Clearly we need to get you all more coffee. Stat!

Elliott | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:57 am 91

wish I could grow chocolate.

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:57 am 92
In response to perris @ 88

His response to Cantor was on Today Show/NBC this morning. So they may have more of the session, also.

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:57 am 93

oh dear. i’m waiting for someone like saint-elli to wander over here for a look-see. feministas tawk ‘ll scare him ta deat’ we will…. poor child.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:58 am 94
In response to perris @ 88

RevBev | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:59 am 95

Where is SD? He usually helps me out of here…to make like a tree and leave (sorry, may not be welcome back). I am now making my first exit….;)

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 06:59 am 96
In response to Elliott @ 91

oh YES!

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:00 am 97
In response to perris @ 88

Here’s my first comment on the subject. The rest are interspersed below that one.

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:01 am 98

What’s the news on restating the fairness doctrine?

perris | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:02 am 99

link didn’t make it through

perris | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:03 am 100

thanx barbara, reading now

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:03 am 101

FYI, Jane’s up with a new post…and Sprinkles Sidoti is not likely to be cheered by it.

Say it with me: awwwwwwwww…

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:03 am 102

and Santelli was still ranting on the G.Liddy show ,tat his kids WERE THREATENED by the white house,i shit you not….poor kids weakminded genes inherited

foothillsmike | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:03 am 103
In response to sunshine @ 98

Obama has indicated that he would not. Sen Demint is putting a rider on DC voting rights to stop it from happening.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:03 am 104

Off to swim in the capitalist cesspool.

Namaste.

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:05 am 105

I stopped into a grocery store at lunch to grab a little something for lunch. I have been taking pb&j or bologna sandwiches. As I was leaving, I was approached by a lady who was with two younger-teenage girls. She asked if I would go with her into the store and buy them some food. I was wearing jeans and I drove a 1988 Honda, so I don’t think I look like a rich one. I told her I was on my way back to work and gave her a few bucks. Sad days indeed.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:05 am 106
In response to perris @ 99

Hmmm. Worked for me. Comment #15 is the start.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:06 am 107

sad…beans and rice……..tell everybody!!!!

Adie | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:06 am 108

myyy goodness me. yer in pathetic shape this mornin’. poor babe.

Barb’s got yer linkie at 94, I see.

My my, McCain’ts got an awful case of the grumpy-faces, hasn’t he. Whut could be his trubble? They keep handing him the mike, and he keeps taking it… on the chin. They know what causes that now. Should we tell him ? If he’d just sit down or go away…

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:07 am 109

demi, this is cool, because I’m guessing you can’t really afford to do this. At least, not very often. you’re very kind.

perris | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:07 am 110

ohhh

found the money shot;

That’s what he sounded like. Finally said it might be time for tough love and let some companies go belly up. Host said does that include companies other than GM (AIG being the context). Corkhead sez yes. Maloney leaps in and sez, but senator, many companies have already gone bankrupt, including large banks that have been absorbed by others. Corkhead got deer in headlights look. At end of interview, Maloney reaches to shake his hand and asks him to work across the aisle. She pinned him, and barely turned an eyebrow. I used to think poorly of her, but she’s growing on me.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:09 am 111

one could Live on this

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:10 am 112
In response to perris @ 100

If you’re not able to see the video, be aware that Obama was polite, reserved, friendly in his gentle skewering of McCain. And even McCain was laughing, along with everyone else.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:11 am 113

i have such a crush on him,and is whole family…..i just love em to pieces/peaces

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:12 am 114
In response to sadlyyes @ 107

Two things…ya gotta have ways to make rice and beans which I wasn’t sure she had and didn’t have the time to have a conversation with her. Secondly, one of the daughters looked like she had eaten way too much rice and beans. Really large girl. Just to make the story even sadder.

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:15 am 115
In response to sadlyyes @ 111

There’s an organization here (and maybe elsewhere, or equivalent thereof) called Feed My Starving Children. It’s a non-profit that packages high-nutrition combo of things (I can’t remember at the moment what they are, but there are four items in the combo).

To date, the food has been/is being shipped to international sites where poverty and hunger run rampant.

It’s a magnet for volunteers. People love this, because it’s an hour and half of labor (assembling, boxing the food) that makes them/us feel good.

Wondering about something along these lines for our own folks. Republican hackles would be raised. Interesting, isn’t it, that my Republican family loved the FMSC experience, but would find it an appalling handout to hungry Americans who must be trying to scam the system.

Anyway, wondering about getting something like that rolling here. High nutrition. Cost efficient (we have Cargill in my town, for crying out loud). And pretty tasty. Volunteers are offered the op to taste the mix.

You and demi (and others) remind me that there’s something Americans can and must do for our brothers and sisters (and if that’s too scary, then our fellow citizens who have no faces and whose plight we need not see up close and personal).

What think?

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:16 am 116

We’re supposed to feed each other, aren’t we? A coupla bucks here and there, especially when I’m actually making a smallish paycheck is a little thing, but thanks for the nice comment. You know how much I value “nice”. *g*

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:17 am 117

(((demi)))

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:18 am 118

aw………..i will email the New Prez……………………..idea
new jobs
WPA style tv commercials and bill boards talking Nutrition in Bad Economic times

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:20 am 119

I think by this summer we will be seeing pictures like these but only in color. FDR did a great thing hiring people in the arts to make historical records of the depression through pictures and stories like your.

We have The Bush Doctrine, Bush’s War on Terror, Bush’s Brain, etc. we should give title to this financial downfall, something like “Bush’s Depression”. PO is not responsible for it and we should never forget who is. I have already heard them say Obama would own this in 3 months. We should NEVER forget who is responsible for this depression.

foothillsmike | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:20 am 120
In response to Adie @ 108

Watched yesterday and McCain had lieberman and Graham vying for that position immediately to his rear.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:21 am 121

What think?
Im in!…trying to do that here in my humble way,cooking for some seniors,plus my crittercooking, emailme at shaggydogfarms AT gmail DOT com

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:22 am 122

barbara February 24th, 2009 at 7:15 am
my last wa s to you,lost my reply keys

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:23 am 123
In response to sadlyyes @ 121

Booyah! Will do.

WarOnWarOff | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:24 am 124

Corn and beans (Nachos!) makes a great meal as well, especially baked w/ cheese and jalapenos on top.

WarOnWarOff | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:27 am 125

That is corn tortillas (or tostadas), with refried pinto beans. Cheap cheap cheap. My favorite lunch.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:27 am 126

that is my website,i will expand my cooking shows to human critters,mebbe try to get a grant,idlove for you to work with me

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:27 am 127
In response to sunshine @ 119

Is there a website where we can post stories and pictures of the effects of this financial crisis in our country?

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:33 am 128
In response to sadlyyes @ 118

Yes. Yes. Cheap fast food is not as healthy as a crock pot of rice and beans with maybe a few veggies. Goes a long way.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:34 am 129
In response to sunshine @ 127

there should be
peeps get out your phone camera
NEVER LET THEM FORGET
we are NOT eatting cake……..bastids
Im talking to you Mr9home McCain,andMs Greenspin…etc,etc,etc

demi | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:39 am 130
In response to sunshine @ 119

Bush’s Depression. Talk about yer legacy.
Must jam on some jeans, make a sammy and hit the road.
I love my FDL girlfriends. Any looming problems that you ladies can solve while I’m out would be greatly appreciated. No pressure.
Later, and keep the faith.

selise | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:40 am 131

oxdown

seriously

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:43 am 132
In response to selise @ 131

smart Selise

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:47 am 133

I think volunteers teaching people how to grow crops would be a big help, at least for those who have a home. We are not our grandparents generation who knew the basics to planting their own food. Potatoes, corn, beans, peas, carrots, etc. provide nutrition.
There are communities who plant crops in cities on empty lots.

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 07:59 am 134

How about
Bush’s Depression
Bush’s Great Depression
Bush World Wide Depression (BWWD)
World Wide Bush Depression (WWBD)
The Great Depression of the Bush Era (this is inclusive to those who also participated)

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:04 am 135

The Great Depression struck the the United States at the end of 1929 and lasted until 1939. This economic disaster affected the economy of the entire world and put hundreds of thousands out of work and in serious financial trouble. City government, realizing the seriousness of the situation, put relief gardening programs in place to combat hunger, poverty, and emotional stress (Williamson). These relief gardens, also called welfare garden plots, vacant lot gardens, and subsistence gardens, served the same purpose as the potato patches of the 1890’s: they improved the health and spirit of participants by creating feelings of usefulness, productivity, and importance while also providing opportunities for food and work. (Tucker 1993)

There were three phases of gardening programs during the Great Depression. In the beginning the relief garden movement faced many problems. Organizers argued about the size and and make-up of gardens: Should the gardens have individual plots or larger undivided plots? Who should be involved? Where will the plots be? Many wondered if the depression would even last long enough for the relief gardens to be necessary. Those asking for assistance were no long the disable, sick, and elderly, but the unemployed and desperate, many with families. No longer was it the ‘weakness’ of the individual that caused the need for assistance, this time it was the failure of the ’system’ (Warman 1999). During these early years ordinary citizens were incredibly helpful in supporting gardening programs. For example, in Detroit “city employees donated monthly contributions from their salaries to raise the ten thousand dollars necessary for financing a free garden program” (Tucker 1993: 132).

sunshine | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:10 am 136

In 1933, Franklin Delano Roosevelt became the president of the United States bringing with him his “New Deal.” Over the next three years, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) gave over three billion dollars of aid in their work garden program. Gardeners received a wage for cultivating and distributing produce to those in need. These gardeners, however, had to meet strict eligibility requirements to participate. The work garden program shifted relief gardens from being for anyone in need to being jobs for some. This program lasted until 1935. An addition to the federal gardening program individual gardening programs continued cities around the country. In New York City, a gardening campaign led by the welfare department and helped by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), resulted in the formulation of over 5,000 gardens in vacant lots (Warner 1987). These 5,000 gardens produced $5 worth of vegetables for every dollar invested resulting in a total of $2.8 million worth of food by 1934 (Tucker 1993).

Link in 135

barbara | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:18 am 137
In response to sunshine @ 134

(WWBD)

aka, What Would Bush Do?

answer: go shopping

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:20 am 138

Fresh posty goodness up top, if folks want some…

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:26 am 139

Oh — I should warn everyone up front that the YouTube on the fresh post is rather…um…fresh. As in naughty, risque, bad girl needs a spanking sort of fresh.

Just so you know.

Bluetoe2 | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:26 am 140

Cold in Michigan but the sun is shining.

Bluetoe2 | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:30 am 141
In response to sunshine @ 134

Reading comments on the WaPo’s article on Obama’s poll numbers it’s clear to wingnuts that things were fine until Obama came along. Bliss is indeed ignorance.

Christy Hardin Smith | Tuesday February 24, 2009 08:36 am 142
In response to Bluetoe2 @ 141

It’s rather creepy, isn’t it? In a surreal Rip Van Winkle sort of way…